Cat Maxx Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by JBird01, Jul 28, 2009.

1. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    Im looking to get a new spinning rod and have been looking at the cat maxx rods. Wanting a 8' MH. Anybody used these rods? Pros and Cons? Any other rods to consider buying?

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    eyelets are junk

for not a bunch more than the catmaxx rods you can get surge rods,catfish safari rods, and for a bit more the team catfish rods.

3. cdog

cdog New Member

State:
    ohio
    I bought one at bass pro , I did not like it. I left it sitting for awhile with my rig left hooked up on it. Where it had the tip bent just slightly it stayed that way. The rod has a memory, that is what I was told. Any ways whatever I do to try and get the curve out, It wont, so the tip curves up permanately now. It was also an 8 footer. By the way welcome to the club and good fishin to you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  4. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have the 8 ft cattmaxx rod for bait casters.I have been happy with the rod as a boat pole.It is on the stiff side,so consider what use you have in mind for this rod before you buy.That being said,it has been cat catchin rod for me!

5. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have hauled in some 70 lbers on my catmaxx rods but with braided line it trashed the eyelets. I think for 20 bucks more you are better off getting a surge or a catfish safari rod that come with stainless eyes and metal real seats.

6. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i just bought an 7'6'' with an abu 7000 at a good price and i was impressed with the over all feel of the rod!! the eyes do leave a little to be desired but the rod reminds me exactly of my 8' bigwater uglies, action and all!! i dont know that i will keep it though!!!:big_smile:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got a 7'9" 1 piece and a 9' 2 piece and I like them pretty good. As said, the eyes could be better but their nice rods.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Josh, Catmax rods are fine but the eyes are junk ! :wink:

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I really like the catmaxx rods but like the rest i dont care for the eyes and i wished it had been a two piece.I actually like the American spirit nite sticks better overall.

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    welcome to boc, I like the catmax rods, the eyes do bend easy but I like the rod alot. I've had mine since they first came out.

11. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    yea ive heard alot of good things about the surge rods, but cant find them anywhere. anyone know where to find them for a spinning rod?

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had a couple catmaxx rods for years. You hear a lot of complaints about the eyes but they are not that bad. They do bend a little but mine have always bent right back with not issue. My only problem with these poles is they are WAY stiff. I like them for fishing with clickers where I am planning on actually setting the hook. I don't like them as much for drift fishing where you are expecting the fish to set the hook themselves. If you have a circle hook on one and you have it in a pole holder with the drag locked down you will miss a lot more fish than you would with one with a softer tip. On the other hand if I am fishing for flats and am waiting for a clicker they are great. You can get a great hookset and really pull the fish out of those sticks.

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    This is my reply to a previous topic concerning the BP CatMaxx rods. I am still a FAN and know the rods to be GOOD! My problem with the eyes/guides still exist, but the rodblank is SOLID! JMHO!!!!

"I have written multiple times on this forum and others about these rods. I know them to be SOLID Rods that will work for you! I use them for my catfishing needs in Europe and have not had a reason to consider changing. I own 1 Casting rod (11 ft.) from them and the others are Spinning. My rods are 10 ft. and 11 ft. long. The last 2 that I bought have the white tip and with any light are very visable. The sensetivity on them is noticable when compared to the older models. What was stated about the guides is TRUE! I have not had one of the inserts to come out on any of them, but the Bending of guides is an issue. This especially true of the first guides on the 2 pc. models. They are somewhat HEAVY, but they will Land any fish that you can catch here in the USA! JMHO!!!!!!!!!"

HOPPY4

14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I own 2 catmaxx rods and I have no complaints, I would buy another with no hesitation.

15. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    I've got two of the original CatMaxx casting rods, 8' MH. I've had two eyelets pop out on both rods. I replaced them with Fuji eyes. If I had more time, I'd replace all the eyes.

I agree with other comments. They are a great rod in heavy current or when using a carolina rig with the bait clicker on...especially if you're using gamakatsu octopus hooks. Their tips aren't limber enough for circle hooks without a clicker.

Bill