Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a cabelas gift card for birthday from mom and brother so I was doing some shopping online. What everyone opinion on a cat maxx rod? Luke from catfish and carp praised them on his rod reviews before so I’m just curious. At 75 they’re not cheap but shipping is free so…..

·
Registered
677 Posts
I picked up a CatMax for $5.00 at a flea market a few years ago. The guides were knocked all to crap, but the rod & handle appeared to be in good shape, so I planned to “rebuild” it. I got as far as stripping off the old guides, but that’s as far as I got. It is much stiffer than any of the other rods that I use. That one is definitely a broomstick!

I have no doubt that it would horse the biggest flathead out of the nastiest snag, but it would probably be overkill for channel cats.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have 2 of them. Landed a few 40 lb lake sturgeon on them and they handled them with no problem whatsoever. Very underrated rod when it comes to quality in my opinion. People say its a broomstick, but i gotta say i feel mine are pretty sensitive. However, I have to say i like my Whisker seeker chad ferguson medium heavy better(used to be around the same price as the catmaxx but now $30 more). What are your usual fishing conditions and how big of fish are you targeting?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have 2 of them. Landed a few 40 lb lake sturgeon on them and they handled them with no problem whatsoever. Very underrated rod when it comes to quality in my opinion. People say its a broomstick, but i gotta say i feel mine are pretty sensitive. However, I have to say i like my Whisker seeker chad ferguson medium heavy better(used to be around the same price as the catmaxx but now $30 more). What are your usual fishing conditions and how big of fish are you targeting? Fishing the big river, Mississippi. And targeting flatheads, but channels now and then

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 2 of them. Landed a few 40 lb lake sturgeon on them and they handled them with no problem whatsoever. Very underrated rod when it comes to quality in my opinion. People say its a broomstick, but i gotta say i feel mine are pretty sensitive. However, I have to say i like my Whisker seeker chad ferguson medium heavy better(used to be around the same price as the catmaxx but now $30 more). What are your usual fishing conditions and how big of fish are you targeting?
Mississippi River, after flathead mainly but take what I can get so channels as well

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went ahead and ordered the heavy cat maxx rod since it will primarily seek out flatheads. Am I pleasantly surprised! No doubt the older cat maxx rods may have been brooms sticks but this one is not, more flex in the tip than my shattered cat mh,by a lot, I love the shattered cat, but compared to this it’s a broomstick. I think it will serve me well. No aluminum reel seat, and it’s a store brand rod I think is why it’s not more popular but I’m really impressed just out of the box. And it shipped free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts