Cat Maxx CMX3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Army Guy, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm a beginner catfisherman and have invested into three reels. I have two Cat Maxx CMX3 reels and one Abu Garcia 6500. I've heard a lot of great things about the Abu but I want to know if anyone has had much success on the Cat Maxx? :0a31:

I ask because I am going to buy a fourth reel and found the Cat Maxx for 30 bucks at Bass Pro.

Attached Files:

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    The garcia reel you can hand down to your grandkids....the catmaxx reel on the other hand I'm not so sure about. I do like to catmaxx rods, although people on here have had problems with their eyes.......

3. NeverBigEnough

NeverBigEnough Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've used several of the Cat Maxx reels over the years. I really like them and they will handle anything on the other end of the line, but they just don't hold up as well the 6500's. When they start to age (2-3 seasons) you'll have problems. I've had a drag completely lockup. One of the thumb releases broke and the plastic caps on the tensioner will eventual strip. I thought they were a pretty good deal when you could catch them on sale at BP for 39.99. Last I checked though they went up quite a bit. I still have a couple I am using, but have been replacing them with 6500's as they wear out.

4. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to boc first off. and i have never used a catmaxx i use the abu garcia 6500 c4. its a really good reel

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome, About the same as the rest, they have been fine so far, but if you can swing the extra cash, I think in the long run ABU will be you best bet.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the B O C ,And stay with the Abu reels ...

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello David, welcome to BOC. The weak link to me on the cattmax reel is the drag system. If you have more than one it must not be a problem to you. The bigger fish,which i have not experienced yet with mine , is what i am concerned about , Good Luck

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    David welcome to the BOC, I would stick with the Abu 6500C3 its good reel, I have one and I love my.

9. Army Guy

Army Guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. And also to the few who sent me tips on where to get a good deal on a reel. Time for me to go try it out... :0a22:

10. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    David, welcome to the BOC. I have to go with the majority and vote for the Abu. Very forgiving on casts, holds up excellent, great warranty and will handle most size fish you will encounter. I have two of them and have not had a failure or need to replace them, with a little care they are lifetime reels. I don't think you would be disappointed with Abu reels. I personally love their 6500c3 reels. Hope this helps ya a little and please understand that this is just my opinion. Good luck, good fishing and once again...WELCOME to the BOC...

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have a catmaxx reel on a medium heavy ugly stik and so far it seems to be doing the job. My dad has the abu garcia but I just couldnt see dropping $90 on a reel, then again the catmaxx feels a little cheap so I guess in the long run you are better off with an abu. They have plastic where abu has metal.

In a year from now you will forget the extra $40 and you will be the owner of a reel for a lifetime.

Good Luck
    Bill

12. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I also just bought the cmx3 and think it works great so far, I have gotten some good cats with it, but from what I have read and heard I think I may switch to the 6500 abu when this one wears out thanks guys.

13. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Aaron if i were you instead of buying an abu garcia 6500 i would go with an abu garcia 7000. it is a bigger reel and the clicker in my eyes is better. they have the old style clicker on them and are harder to click back over when you bump ur rod on accident. with my 6500 if i just barely touch my reel handle it clicks the spool tight and with my 7000 that doesnt happen. my old mans 6500 is the same way. also i think you would like the bigger spool that comes with the 7000 so you can either go to a heavier line or be able to put more line on your reel. but those are just my two cents and i think you would be very pleased. i also have an abu garcia 10000 that is almost like a whinch and I love it to death but man did i pay dearly for it. :tounge_out:

14. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info steve.:big_smile: