cat max

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by channelcathunter64, Dec 30, 2007.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i was wonderin if any of u guys have used the cat max rods that bass pro has out. i was lookin into buyin yet another ugly stick for my new abu garcia reel that i got for christmas and i talked to a guy that i saw there that was buying 6 of them and he was so impressed with them that i got one. i was just wanted some other opinions

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I have 2 of the 8' MH 1 piece they are ok so far, no problems with them. pulled in a couple 12-17# in not much current, and we also use them for Striper trolling and they work well for that.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I had a 7'6" heavy action one. It was really stiff. Never caught a fish on it, it got stepped on after only about 4 trips and broke 3 guides off. Not worth geting them redone. I got it on sale for I believe $30 (it was the old version). Don't think that I'd buy another one. I love my Night Sticks and they're a little cheaper and they are better made rods. As a matter of fact I'm going to be purchasing two more of them in the next few days.

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I own 2 of those rods and like them real well. Ive caught numerous flatheads over 20 and they have done well.:big_smile:

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have three 8 footers, decent rods a little hard to see at night and way too heavy to drift with. They are OK in the rod holders and will handle big fish.

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have two of the Catmaxx 7 foot MH casting rods. For the most part, they are great rods. I've caught several fish 40lbs, being the biggest with no problems. I am selling mine though, due to the fact I am switching completely over to braid, and I don't like to use braid with ceramic eyelets.:wink:

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I have two of the newer live bait models. Other then having a couple of the eye inserts pop out I have had good luck with them.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive got one and have had zero problems with mine,the only thing i regret is getting one thats a one piece.I like the two piece rods because they are easier to haul around.

9. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have one Heavy casting 7'6" do not like it, reasons to stiff on the tip, cheap eyelets, and the end of the butt is to big and gets hung in rod holders. I have still caught fish on it but would trade it out for something else if possible.

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have 12 catmax rods and if an when any thing happens to one of them i will buy another for the money you or noone else can beat them they are the best thing going for catfish of 20lb or better for the price.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have one catmax rod, it's a 11 foot rod I use for long distance casting..It works well and even landed a 40-lb flat last year.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    What kind of rod you looking for brother?

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
  14. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have 2 rods and they might be a little stiff but I think they well. I caught a 35lber on the Mississippi(we all know has rough current) and had no problem hauling it in.

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i have 6 catmaxx rods and beleive they're the best rod for the money. I would stay away from their reels though, The ABU baitcaster on a catmaxx rod make an excellent combo.

16. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have two combos and I think they are great, have never given me any problems, they cast and retrieve well. Can handle the big fish.

17. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have 8 of the old style catmax rods, 8', 9', 10', and 11'. I haven't had any problems with any of them. I caught my largest catfish on one of them, 39.5 pounds with no problem, and several over 20+ pounds. I can't tell you about the new style catmax they came out with last year thou. I know they have a softer tip for live bait casting. Don't know if the quality is still there.

18. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    have two 7' heavy rods and so far they have worked great they are paired with BPS catmax rods and have had no problems

19. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have not used one of these rods but have heard they are made by Quantom and are like a less expensive version of the big cat rods (not as finished out).

20. Squatchy07

Squatchy07 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I own 9 of them but have just retired 3 because of damaged guides. I use mostly 8' medium heavy but have three 7'6" MH's also. I will continue to buy them as long as they are produced. If BPS would do something about the somewhat flimsy guides I feel that they couldn't be beat. And I'm not sure who makes them but the butt cap has a Marlin or Sailfish on it with a tackle company name that I don't recognize, of course this could just be the component manufacturer. My .02