cat grabbling

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Coach Currier, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Coach Currier

Coach Currier New Member

State:
    TN
    Just wondering what everyone thinks of it?
    I have done it for a couple of years, I cheat though(lol) we use man made boxes instead of looking for holes in the banks and such.. Just wondering if anyone else does it or uses this method also... My personal best while grabbling is a 52" flathead it was a true wrestling match

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the Boc. I have not tried this but it does look fun. No fair on the cheating though.

3. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I like my fingers too much to try this. Guess I'm a coward when it comes to noodlin'

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Don't get me started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC from Kentucky

6. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    I would love to try it butt, I dont know any body that does it,that can show me the tips and tricks.I would be a bit nervus,to try it on my own.What do you do if there is a turtle or beaver in side?(NO FINGERS LOL). Do you jest put your hand inside and crab it up or do you try to stick your hand in its mouth(grab by the lip)or what ? Please explain if you would.

7. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Don't mind it at all, welcome to the forum!

J.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    100% against it.

First, it disturbs spawning fish.

Second, the people who do on TV and in videos are creating a freak show, and the entire catfish community is associated with that.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Haven't tried it. Haven't tried kissin' rattlesnakes either.

10. Coach Currier

Coach Currier New Member

State:
    TN
    I disagee with the disturbing the spawning fish part guys!!! I have caught them as late as october, no spawning period then I AM SURE!!! Yes, if done in early spring I am also sure that would disturb the spawners.. I personally dont do it till after the 4th of july.... As far as how you do it.. I have man made boxes that are 3'x4' 18" hi with no bottom in them... That, I am sure is helping the spawners by the way.. When I get to one of the boxes I block the hole with a piece of small plywood that is easy to handle just big enough to block the hole in the box which is 12 wide.... I take a small stick and just feel around inside the box, most of the time the fish will attack this stick providing a rush that I cant describe !!!!!! Then I will stick my hand inside of the box hoping the fish will bite my hand when they do you just hang on!!!!! You have to be quick and tough because sometimes it really hurts like hell!!!!! The rush when doing this is tremendous !!!!!!! The boxes are about 4 or 5 feet deep so there is no air inside them therefore there wont be any unwanted creatures in there that require air to survive!!!!! Blues are the worst, had one that was about 40 lbs when it bit me the first time it blacked my fingernail I honestly thought a snapping turtle had gotten me but I knew it was a fish cause I felt it before it bit me. I am sure that some of you dont understand this type of fishing but I do wet my lines also... I just like a RUSH

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have allways thought it was cool ,But not for me. Since joining here ,I have become almost 100% anti Noodlin, I dont think it should be legal in the springtime for sure. I have never heard of anyone doing it at any other time either. You are the first. Anyhoo. I welcome you to this great site.Glad to have ya here,Dave

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You Sir, are a breath of fresh air. You have to be the first noodler I have ever rep'd in a noodling thread. Like I have told many of the noodlers on this site; it is not the sport I hate it is the timing in which it is practiced (spawn). I am dispized by a few on here for taking a stand against noodling during that period and, I don't mind a bit, LOL!!! If I can have an effect on just one person that changes their minds about it, it is well worth the ridicule to me. Thank You for your Clarity in what could have been a very Muddy thread. You Sir make me proud to call you BROTHER!!!!

13. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    thanks for the advice.... a few questions though.... where do you put the boxes (i.e. what type of water etc.) and how do you get them to stay there.... what is usually the ratio of boxes per fish?

14. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    if done in the spring and released, does it cause the fish not to go back to the eggs? Did not know if they had ever researched it.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, Once you pull them off of the nest , they do not return to it. Missouri DNR did research on it and found that they did this.

16. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    thank you for the info. I just want to try and get a big one because i've seen some people pull huge cats out of small fishing holes and creeks. I'll probably wait until later in the year then. where i'm from you don't see cats over 15 lbs for an hour and a half radius cause all of our lakes are small and the broad river is, well despite it being good size, all i've ever caught there is small fish.

17. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Here in Oklahoma we place cast iron bathtubs upside down with about a12 inch hole that we cut with a grinder this is only legal in non navigatable rivers or creeks by putting your own holes in the river you put an end to all that BS!!!! about beavers and snakes and such:smile2:

18. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana

JW, what is the difference between bass and cats if released during the spawn? I know a bass will return to the bed? Do you happen to have the link to the research?

Not trying to stir the pot here but what is the dif in this and regular catch and release?

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Here you go!! This is an article on the results and the results!!!
    http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2007/04/22/no-more-noodling-missouri/

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    100% AGAINST BEING 100% AGAINST OTHERS WAYS OF FISHING! JMO

WELCOME TO THE BOARD DAVE. GALD TO HAVE YA. I DONT DO IT BUT LOOKS LIKE A RUSH. HOGGED A FEW SNAPPERS THOUGH. AND NO CRP FOR THEM.LOL.

JUST PROVES THAT EVEN WITH THIS SEGREGATED AREA THAT A GUY THAT HATES NOODELING COMES HERE TO SAY IT.
    WONDER WHAT TYPE OF REACTION IDE GET IN THE TOURNY THREADS SAYING IM 100% AGAINST RELAESING CATS??? BUT I DONT DO IT ,LOL.