Cat Fish Ugly stick ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by CatMaster23, Jul 8, 2007.

1. CatMaster23

CatMaster23 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Now I have heard some possitives and neggatives about the cat fish ugly stick. So what is the real deal here is it good or bad?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never broke one and we've tried when hung up.
    I've not had a problem one with all of the ones I've bought.

I was looking at the Ugly Striper rod the other day. I may try a few of those.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    hey bro , I just recently purchased mine and let me tell you they are enough for all but the toughest fish in the toughest conditions . I should have made that move a lot sooner (the purchase) they are great rods in any price range . I personally use a penn 9 reel and it is a great combo but the reel is your choice , if you are a abu fan then the 6000 series should balance nicely also . Dont make my mistake by now .

4. dcconrad

dcconrad New Member

State:
    ohio fairfield county
    i have two of them. a caster and a spinner both handle whatever i throw at them. great rods.imo

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    They are way to stiff at the tip witch makes them worthless IMO Sure the rods are strong but it's like trying to fish with a 2X4. The one I have is Med/Heavy 7 and it's to stiff I wouldn't even want to think about how stiff the heavy action rod tips are.

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I just bought 2 at Academy during their rod sale. I haven't fished with them yet, but I think I am going to like them a lot. The action seems just right to me.
    I got the medium heavy.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    See I think that they are not stiff enough for fast moving water. They are sensitive enough to where you can spot any size fish biting. I use them but wish they were a bit more sturdy.

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    they are not too stiff for there intended perameters , if you need a tip rod they are great , if you need more muscle then step up to say a tiger med. or MH which ever fits your needs . That is exactly why so many of us have so many rods one or more to fit each niche .

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the only ones ive heard about breaking were the 2pc. so stick with the 1pc. 7' mh and you should have one nice r&r :wink: i got 2 of theise:wink:

10. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    pretty good rods for small river or lake fishing-too flimsy for the big river(although my daughter does use them on the ohio river if the current isnt too strong).ugly stick tiger rods are the best all around catfish rod for my money.they cost twice as much but you wont regret it!

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are all I will use from now on, I have 3 right now, and everytime I buy a catfish rod now, it's an Ugly Stik Catfish. So far I like them best with an Ambassaduer 6500, the 6000 is not enough in my opinion. I also have an Ugly Stik Tiger with an Abu 7000 on it, and I don't like that near as much.

Only thing is, the 2 piece Spinning rod ones are junk in my opinion, they break right where the two pieces connect, I have also had that happen recently with a very nice rod, an Ugly Stik Custom 10' surf rod, that was $110 and should have had many more years of use left in it. So I've decided I'm never going to buy another 2 piece rod of any kind.

12. thud

thud New Member

State:
    Sacramento, California
    I agree with joadb, Tiger Stik is the go-to rod on both rivers and lakes.

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    I fish rivers here for channels and the ugly cat has plenty of backbone for the type of fishing i do , i usually use 3 oz. plus bait so i am guessing around 5-6 oz. total in current and have yet to feel like the rod was stressed to its limits , and i am looking forward to the fall salmon run here on lake Ontario where i will be using the exact same rig for salmon my ugly cat and my penn 9 . Now i might not have world class cats here but i have and know salmon and we have monsters that will rip drags break rods make blazing 100+ yard runs repeatedly and whip anglers to their knees in the process and then the fight starts , i know this rod will take it no doubt what so ever and i know salmon fishing .