cat fish throughthe ice

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by butch fulk, Nov 22, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    sence the no talks on the mich site going come down here . how do you do cat fish when ice fiching and what kinda bait do you ues thanks for any info

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the boc mi. brother!

i dont target cats on ice but have poked a few. this one came from a pond early this year on a shiner. if you are going to target them i would suggest starting with ponds to gain confidence. deepest water in the pond is what i understand is a good starting location. maybe dr pepper can give you some cold water channel info. dont know about the ice part but its still very cold down there in his ponds.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii171/river_scum/?action=view&current=rexpondcatvid.flv

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    WOW TIM you mean catfish bite in the winter!!! :smile2::smile2: some guys will never buy it:wink: i bet that was a surprise!!

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I have caught them while deadsticking for gills on bee moth. They are usually in slight depressions on flats. They also seems to hang out together as I've caught 2 or so from the same hole and then nothing in the perimeter holes. I figure you about have to drop it in front of their nose as the aren't moving much.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :smile2:Funny this thread popped up today! I was just out chippin' ice for the last couple hours, I WAS trying for flatheads with no luck at all... even though I know right exactly where they're at, I used only two baits, and fish right over top of them with a minnow tipped jig head and with a worm. I did catch 1 channel and 1 little blue like that (minnow), and about a dozen crappies before I got bored and cold.
    I'm still playing around with the wintering flathead thing a bit here at my pond before I head out to a couple pre selected hole at the river here. Though I've got my doubts about wintering flatheads right now, I promised myself I'd give it some serious effort this winter.
    Channels shouldnt be too much a challenge... especially in a small lake or big pond. Like Tim said, find the deepest spot. I've never drilled holes to fish for anything though.

6. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Wait until after Christmas & go to MN. They use icehouses for fishing &
    drive their cars across the Lake!:wink:

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol, um - no thanks!

8. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    oh come on wheres your sence of adventure?? you posted all the information about hypothermia, you should be in the clear now!

9. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I can't help about bait for catfish in winter let alone icefish, but someone told me near Duluth MN that they make icehouses approximently 8'x8'sq. A 2'x4' frame is my guess to help against the wind. They use portable heaters to keep warm while wearing t-shirts. They also claim that the ice is so thick that they drive their cars across the lake at a certain time of the year of course.:crazy:

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we have drove on the ice up here in the past David. bring that lil truck up here and go for a spin(pun untended)lol

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    If I remember right in 1977 or 1978, the Ohio River froze up & people were walking on the River. The only trouble was that KY had to pass a law making it illegal to walk on the ice/water because people were falling in since the ice was too thin. I think that the parking lot at the local Walmart is a whole lot safer!:big_smile:

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No idea!! very interesting read however, thanks for posting