cat fish rig

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by devildogcollier, Jun 19, 2009.

1. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    I was Wondering what most of yall use/ what is the most effective Rig for catfishing.....i usually use an egg slip wheight and a crimp bead about 8 inches or so from the swivel with the hook attached to the swivel?????

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    The most typical rig you will find is a "Carolina Rig". A sinker or sinker slide threaded on the main line, followed by a bead and then attached to the barrel swivel. Attach a leader to the barrel swivel and then attach a hook at the other end. I prefer the sinker slide (also called a fishfinder rig) so I can remove my weights after I'm done fishing. I use 60 lb Sten Superbraid for the main line and a 60 lb florocarbon leader with an 8/0 circle hook on the business end. All of that tossed by an 8 foot Cabelas King Kat rod with a 6600 Ambassadeur reel.

Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty!

3. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    thats some serious rigging !! lol

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Yep! For serious catting! :smile2:

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use a 20 to 32 inch piece of 100 # mono with a 90# swivel and a 10/0 gamma circle hook snelled.i put a small cigar float about 6inches from the hook to keep the bait off the bottom.

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    It's what works for most of us on the James. Not as complicated as you might think. I wish I could post a picture for you if I had one.

You might also look up slip-bobber rigs as an alternative.

7. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Sinker slide then bead attached to at least a 150lb swivel with 50 lb mono (cajun red) 2 ft leader with 8/0 Gama circle hook (snelled). Use anywhere from 1-8 oz of weight depending on current. 8 foot King Kat Pro rod, abu 6500 spooled with 80lb power pro braid but also use 7 ft tiger rod with penn 320gt2 spooled with 80 lb power pro braid. It all depends on the conditions but no matter what I have a mixture of 14 rods in the boat.