Castor River Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Pendernator, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    does anyone on here go camping on castor river at arrowhead, castor river park, or twin bridges. I camp at twin bridges and i was wondering if there were any catfish near there.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO

3. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
  4. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    The castor river is like three rivers in one. Up by the 34 bridge it is still an Ozark stream with clear water, gravel bottom, and not real deep. I have fished up in that part and for a catfish, you need to find a long deep hole. Not easy to find. Smallmouth fishing is the best bet. A few cats but not thier type of water. Camping is great and lots of it.

My farm, and where I fish the most, is where the river slows down a lot. Here you need a boat. From the Gypsy bridge to the Hwy. 51 bridge at Zalma. Lots of long deep holes, mud and gravel bottom, water not quite as clear. Better catfishing and the smallmouth are outnumbered by largemouth. Plenty of places to catfish no matter how you want to do it. An average catfish is around 1 1/2 to 3 lbs. Camping places are few and far between.

Below there, the river gets really slow and the banks are almost all mud. However, the catfish are bigger and more plentiful. No camping that I know of, and a boat is necessary.

The diversion channel is exactly that. A ditch that is as straight as the roads around it. Slowly runs through farmland. Not as clear and the fishing is done out of a boat if you can find a place to launch. I don't fish there because of that.

Hope this helps.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Are there public ramps below Zalma?

6. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    There is one called Maple flats on hwy 51, 1/4 mile east of the bridge in Zalma.

There is another one called Sweetgum access on co rd. 708 about 3 miles upriver. No camping, and a boat launch ramp that only works when the river is in flood stage. The "If you build it - they will come" theory didn't work with rivers. They built one and the river stayed 50 feet away.

Then also on co rd. 708 is what they call "Castor river Ca" and here is the MDC link http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/applications/moatlas/AreaSummaryPage.aspx?txtAreaID=7842&txtAreaNm=Castor River CA&txtCounty=BOLLINGER&txtRegion=St. Louis&txtUserID=guest&txtDivision=

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    do you think if i found a deep hole and set a trotline there would be a possibility of catching some catfish. flathead or channel

8. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Speaking JUST for catfishing in the Castor river, again, it depends "where" on the river you are at, when you are there, and about 10 million other things.

There are only two kinds of cats in the castor. Channels and flatheads.
    If you want a flathead, the best bait is a sunfish - bluegill - bream - whatever you want to call it, and it must be alive.

Channel cats will eat almost anything and dead or cut up fish is my pick.

This is a small river and big river tactics have to be scaled back to be effective. There are places on this river that are rarely "catfished". Most of the people on the river beat the water to a froth with everything in the book. These fish are used to QUIET and bite best when it is. They won't eat if they are tense or disturbed.

Here is the small river secret.

These are secluded fish. You need to fish the same way. Try to catch them with what they are comfortable with. Stuff that they see and eat everyday is the most productive in the long run. Fish when they are feeding. The middle of the day is absolutely the worst time. A rainy midnight is the best time. Weather, light, and disturbance affect a small clear river more than anywhere else.

If you can find a long deep hole of water, fish the upper 1/4 of it. The fish will begin to move into the shallower upper end to feed. Give them what they expect. A flathead is looking for a live meal. A channel don't care. Two or three poles, one with a live bluegill, one with a dead one cut open all over, and one with Sonny's Super Sticky stink bait, and you will do as good if not better than anybody around. Be patient, enjoy nature all around you, and if you get one, it will be the best tasting catfish you ever tried.

Good luck and more importantly "have a good time"

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
  10. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    is there any boat access to the lower deeper part of the castor river

11. talltimber

talltimber New Member

State:
    mo
    Guys, Castor River is three rivers in one as earlier stated, but it also three rivers divided. The upper part of Castor, if you can picture this setup, is above the Diversion Channel(the first two parts that zalmaflash describes). The lower Castor is below the Div. Channel, and it is slow, stagnant, and unproductive unless you like the occasional gar. It will swell and offer a current/mud with a big rain, but no one fishes it anymore. There may very well be fish in there besides gar, but I'm not going to try them. Now, the Diversion Channel divides the upper/lower Castor, here's why: the Channel was dug to divert(thus "Diversion" Channel) the rain runoff, from the hills immediately to the north of the Channel, to the Miss. River. Those rains used to cause all that bottom ground south of the Channel to flood when we'd get a big rain. So, you can't take a boat from the lower Castor to the upper Castor, because of the levee along the south side of the Channel. The Channel is carrying the "good" water out of the upper Castor to the Miss. River. There is a boat ramp at Greenbrier that can be used to navigate the upper Castor/Diversion Channel. Downstream from there(in an easterly direction) is the Block Hole where there is another ramp for the Channel. But, due to the inflow boulders and lower elevation of the "Hole" than the incoming waterline, upstream navigation from the Block Hole ramp is nonexistent - downstream only, towards the Miss. River. I hopes this clears this area up some for those wondering about it. It really is interesting-look it up on google earth if you have a spare minute.

12. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How you doing. We camp at twin bridges. Like everyone has said the better catfishing is a little further down. You can catch a few flatheads up by us but not many. Zalma area gets alot of fishing pressure. It's a good float from 34 down to Gypsy bridge but the land owner will not let you pull a canoe or even walk up the bank there. I bet the fishing from there down to sweet gum would be great fishing but you are looking at least an 8 hr float from 34.