castnets

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Aug 18, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    is anyone else having as much trouble as i am with these white cast nets i threw mine out 2 times and a little tree branch on the bottonm ripped it i miss the old blue ones i had my blue one for 3 years and it sat in the rain and snow then i finally caught it on a old fence post on the river and ripped but i just all out hate these new white nets

2. 1elkhunter

1elkhunter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo
    I would have to agree. Have a new AHI 8' and have used it probably 10 times with a total of three rips above the bottom line roughly about 8". My old blue 6' Wally world lasted roughly 2 years in the same waters, same holes and same sticks. Only difference I see is AHI is the standard mono net and stiffer, wally was blue before it died.

3. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    soak them in a 5gal bucket of ivory soap and you'll think you have a 100 dollar net ...They will throw 100x better and everything just slides and works GREAT! you can still get the blue ones.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It's those new plastic/ceramic type weights that I can't stand. Hell, I think I could reach my hand in the water and push the net down faster than their weight could.

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

I Agree Tom, That ceramic stuff is a piece of crap... I'd invest in a better net but from the bank we're throwing blind... And i go through three a yr. from wally world..

6. 1elkhunter

1elkhunter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo
    What do you all think the toughest net would be as far as the mono used. We all probably catch the typical stick and occasionally pull up the ever-hated log.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
  8. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info. This site also has a real good illustration on throwing the cast nets. It will help me a bunch. Don't actually have anyone to show me how. It's just been trial and error up to this point.

9. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    I like this method for throwing ...http://www.calusa.com/

10. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I just ordered a new 6ft net from Fitec. It was very reasonable and no shipping charge. They claim they make a strong net, though it doesn't matter if you net a large boulder, tree limb, etc:crazy:

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I throw a "betts" tyzac model 8fter..nice & soft & sinks fast 3/8's mesh..it is really a good investment...we throw from the bank sometimes off steep bluffs in the winter...but we do graph them with our boats before we do..it helps..Hell were gonna lose & tear nets boy's:wink: fishin ain't cheap!!:eek:oooh::tounge_out:

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you want a good net, you're gonna have to spend a few bucks. I stopped buying the $30 and $40 nets a couple of years ago and switched to the Bait Buster nets - I currently throw an 8' "Menhaden" net (5/8" mesh) and have pulled up several cedar trees and a few other goodies with no real bad effects so far. But I've also shredded a few of those nets in the last couple of years as well. I order direct from the manufacturer - they have a shop on Amazon.com

I personally prefer to buy a better quality net, knowing that it's not going to tear the first time it gets hung up on a twig. The Fitec nets I used to use would rip if you looked at them funny. Got tired of wasting my money.

The bottom line, however, is that every net you own will eventually get destroyed on something. Sometimes you get one throw, sometimes they last 8 months.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I got a nylon net with 4 years on it and alot of patching. Got 2 blue ones I keep em patched to. If I wasnt so cheap I would by some new ones. I have been considering building my own. As is is I have rebrailed 2 I own. Yea nets go thrue hell with me but I take the time to get em loose and repair em. I have almost come to the point if I am gona buy new ones they gona be nylon rather than mono. Worse case save the lead off em it works great as limb line weights and maken large slinkies for rod fishen.

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I like the nylon best, but they do have one major drawback. Ever catch a baby catfish in your net? If you do in a nylon net, you will have to cut the net up trying to get that thing out. No way your going to pull it out of a nylon net. Those spines have barbs on them when catfish are young and they will not let go once they stick into the net.

15. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About the only thing ya can do is clip the fin or cut the net. Rates right up there with getting a spoonbill or large bighead in a net lol.

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri

Yup! Or I like to use liquid fabric softener. One cap full in a 5 gallon bucket of water will do the trick. Also I like to store them by hanging them from the grommet...seem to sink better. But I have got to agree with yall on those ceramic weights...don't like em'