Castnets: monofilament or nylon?

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by yotetrapper, Mar 6, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    whats the difference? What's better? See are about same price on catfish connection....

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The nylon nets and monofilament nets are about the same. The difference is one (I believe the monofilament) net sinks faster and makes it harder for the bait fish to swim out from under it and I believe it opens better than the nylon. Mono does not rot - although it can be damaged if left for long periods in sunlight. The nylon nets are softer on the baitfish than the mono. Both will snag, but in my opinion it is easier to repair a nylon net than the mono. The effort is about the same - but I have problems with knots staying in the fishing line I use to repair the mono nets. With nylon, you can get some trot line staging and repair holes or replace the runners which break.

The nets are measured in radius. Remembering your high school math classes, the radius is one half the diameter. So, when the box says it is four foot, that is radius - not diameter.

What it boils down to is to get the one your most comfortable with.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice summary there Awshucks!, I buy the Nylon ones but after using them a few times, about half of them end up being Mono ( that i used to repair them) I agree that personal preference is best. Around these parts we dont have a lot of options on what to buy, I think the last few I got I mail ordered from Cabelas.
    Good luck
    Salmonid

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks. Anyone else have opinions?

5. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    keep an eye in your local wally world. during the summer months they are easy to get here but through the winter they dont sell them. the best part of that is when they quit selling them they clearance them in the fall. just picked up 4 5ft nets for 15 bucks apeice. cant beat that with a big stick!! i have wanted to try a moer expensive net but the way we go through them here on the mississippi im kinda worried about paying more. LOTS of underwater snags that we cant see and seem to find when looking for bait!!

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Mono sinks faster and opens easier in my experience. Also, if you know how to throw a net, get the biggest one you can comfortably throw. If you don't, get a smaller (4' or 5') and learn it. Once you can throw the smaller net, it's not a big leap to an 8' or so net. Bigger nets are more work to throw, but catch more bait so in the end to me it seems like less overall work:wink:

Good Luck~

Branden

7. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a 5,6,7ft net and iam having heck throwwing is o.k. opening is what is hard to do. the other day i was practicing a girl about 17 came by she askme if i was fishing for grasshoppers i said no iam practicing thats all. thanks sam davis

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I prefer mono. because I think they sink quicker and because you have repair nylon nets so often but I think mostly it's personal preference.

9. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I have a few wal-mart nets and always have a couple extra with me and I throw the cheaper ones around any thing could be suspect for snags but that 7'or 8" old salt with 1oz per foot will catch twice the bait in shallow or deep water @ 35' than the cheap nets and opens great .I see guys at the dam with the little cheap nets throwing and not getting much and I can throw the 7' or 8' old salt and let it go thirty ft or more deep and have a ton of blueback herring or shad ive even loaned it to complete strangers to throw a couple of times cause there net would close before it got to the bait or was to slow on the sink.Their ain't nothing like a good quality net.I think its one of the most inportant things on my boat. (JMO) Don't get me wrong it sure hurts the wallet and your feelings when it hangs up on something.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have both nylon and mono. Seems i can throw the nylon a lil easier but if i get in any trash it hangs easier it seems. All in all, i prefer nylon.

11. jcat

jcat New Member

State:
    IL
    I started with nylon. It took forever to sink. I have used mono ever since and recommend it. Bass Pro brand has been fine, also Betts old salt. Good luck

12. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I say mono hands down. In my trials it has sank faster threw easier and was least effort to maintain. I stick with mono.:wink:

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I prefer the mono nets -3ft-4ft are the best fer me,smaller nets arealot easier to throw

14. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I have had a devil of a time throwing a 5' net, using ending up half open.

I went to a seminar in February, and the guy doing the demo was using an 8' mono net. The method he used was the one shown on the website www.calusa.com, and it looked so simple, I thought "I can do that". So I purchased an 8' Old Salt net, and practiced a few times, then took it fishing. The Calusa method works like a charm. I would heartily recommend the method to anyone wanting to use a larger net. Even I, who couldn't throw a net worth a darn can get it fully opened using that method.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I guess it is a matter of personal preference. I have owned both. I once had a really nice nylon throw net that my grandfather made for me and this was the best net I have ever owned. The weights are what determines how fast they sink. I now have a big mono net and in my opinion it is a piece of junk. I will never buy another mono net. :eek:oooh:

16. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    They both rip easy . I think the monofiliment drops a little bit faster but nylon net has very little memory. More import is size and your tecnique . 12ft. diameter net is kind of a minimum size if your serious about catching bait.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i throw both, the only difference for me is i have to let a nylon net dry before i wrap it up.

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My first net was nylon. It cost a little more, and to me it didn't open as well as mono. What cinched it was getting a bunch of little catfish in it a couple of times... They are bad enough with just mono, but with the nylon - what a mess! It's been mono only for me since then.

19. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own and throw both. The difference is that after the nylon gets wet it's a little heavier than at first, and mono seems to sink a little faster.