Castnets : Mono vs. Nylon????

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by catfisherfromball, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Hi ya'll, just wonderin, I am fixin to go buy me another castnet ( da one I owned was a nylon and got snagged and tore up) but I was wonderin what one is better, nylon or mono. And some tips on how to choose might be helpful too. Keeyaawww ya'll is a nice bunch of people to help out like dis....

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Evans, The mono is my choice I have 2.5 ft. , 5.0 ft. and 8.0 ft. and they are all mono they are easier to throw and fairly easy to repair when you rip them. They also sink faster.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats my opinion on the issue too. I'd much rather use mono.

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    mono works for me

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    It looks like I am the odd man out . I like nylon best . I have both ,but I use the nylon the most. You should have 2 nets , a riped net can turn a good trip bad

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i like the mono the best also

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Mono..all the way..no doubt about it. I have only used castnets for the last couple years and have used them a lot. Wore out a couple mono's, then tried a nylon. HATED that thing about the 3rd time i threw it..will never buy another one again.

cyas
    rc

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like the clear mono nets, myself. The blue ones are good but I think the fish can see them two well and escape(depending on the spieces). The nylon onesseem to catch every snag within 50ft of them, LOL!!! I will never use another one of those again!!!

9. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I just started to use a 4 ft. mono and am very happy with it.

10. Fisherman in Christ

Fisherman in Christ New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mono all the way but curiouse about the tyvac ones .

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I am with you Dale seems that the Nylon nets thrown from the bank can really get out far I added another 25' rope from another net an I could throw the net 45' atleast.

I used mono net all my life an I went an bought a Nylon Tuzac 5 footer an will never buy another mono one seems they repair easier an I just use some left over power pro line 65lb from a few years ago that I replaced an it works great.

If I was new at throwning a cast net then I would not get a nylon one but I have been throwing one for 10+ years an it works great. Does take some getting used to as if you don't add an extra rope then it seems you throw it to hard an it closes up before it hits the water that is when I throw from the bank.

12. linedrager

linedrager Member

State:
    ky
    I have both a 3.5 a 5 and an 8 ft I prefer the nylon seems to throw easier, have been throwing for over 10 years I do like mono but nylon works better for me, seems to be a lot more limber, I do know if you soak mono it does soften up.

13. oklakugels

oklakugels New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man, I just snatch up whichever is cheapest at the time.For me it's going to be held together by zip ties after a few trips. It's been mono the last two go arounds, It did seem like the nylon one I had did open up a little easier though.