"Castnet Tutorial" for those that want to learn!!!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Dreadnaught, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
  2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Great info - thanks!

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I definitely want to learn to do that!

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Our cat fishing as taken on an entire new dimension since we bought a couple of cast nets. We are catching shad in lakes and river where I never knew they existed. Tons of free bait under you all the time!! My 13 year old son takes particular pride in catching our bait with his own net.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    U da man uncle JW.

6. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Hey John ol Buddy! I been tryin to figuer out this cast net deal but never have caught any fresh live liver in the darn thing. The little critters just seem to slip out the holes. Help me out here JW.....

:cool2:

egg

7. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    thanks john , very well explained.

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Great article, it will save a lot of guys the frustration that I and a lot of others went through trying to learn how to toss those things. I remember practicing in the backyard until my arms hurt and then get on the river and forget everything. Felt like tossing it over the side and letting go of the rope a few times! I finally got it figured out but this article sure would have save me some grief. Good post.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Doug, you need to get a net with smaller holes, LOL!!!

10. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats the link i used to learn to throw cast net.thanks dreadnaught.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Glad I could help, Harry!!!

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for your help JW, it was much appreciated!

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Just bumping this back up, for those who need the help!!!

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Back to the top we go!!!!

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thanks jw there are new members who need to know this and besides i may need a refresher too

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are a heck of a helpful guy JW. I'm just trying to teach my friends to cast a net so I don't have to anymore. I will direct them to your thread.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks JW, you're an excellent teacher. This may be the method I've been waiting for. I foresee a try at castnetting in my future. I've got one (somewhere, had it for years) that's never been opened out of the package (don't even remember how I come to have it) but I do remember someone, after seeing it, making the remark, "You'll never be able to throw that one, it's way too big". Which leads me to some questions:

1) To begin with, the section of the KY regs on sports cast nets is ambiguous to me. What size mesh is allowed in KY?

2) What's the best choice of net to learn with and still catch some bait? In the catalogs, there's choices of nets from 3' to 12' radius; monofilament (clear or blue), multifiliment, and nylon filiment; 3/4 lb or 1 lb weight per ft; etc., etc.,. Anyone care to comment here?

3) What are some techniques for hunting the quarry?

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Thanks for the info, I hope I can get better at throwing that thing.

19. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Had bought a cast net 3 weeks ago and couldnt throw it at all. Your pics and tutoring taught me i was using the wrong hand and was doing everything backwards. tried it this weekend and it worked like a champ. Caught lots of bait till i hung my net on a stick and broke 4 lines in the net getting it out of the river. tried to fix it but didnt do a very good job. it was a 3.5 footer i bought on clearance for 9 bucks. IU definetly caught more bait than 9 dollars worth. Thanks a million for the post.

dru

20. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will have to try it the way it is shown there. My old roomate taught me a different way that has seemed easier than the way it is on there, but I will try that way before I make a judgement. Will the way shown work for all sizes, or is it best for a certain size. I use a 6 ft net regularly, and have only tossed a 12 foot once, and it was alot harder than I expected.