castnet skipjack

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Dec 28, 2005.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Mellon and I were wondering if it was legal to castnet Skipjacks. Does anyone know?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Whether it's legal or not, trying to catch grown skipjack in a castnet is like trying to catch flies between your thumb and finger. I think I may have caught 3 or 4 in the 4"-6" range over twenty-some-odd years. IMO, rod & reel is a much more effective way of catching them.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is legal here but darn near impossible to acomplish. Like JTrew said about flies with your fingers about sums it up. Skipjack are way to fast to catch with a castnet.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thanks guys, we are going to take a cast net with us but we do good on rod and reels so thats all i think we will need.

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I found one of my skipjack spots by throwing a cast net. I started to catch a few nice sized skipjacks along with shad and I decided to throw a jig around. I ended up catching around 100 in a few days. Its alot more fun with R&R and you catch alot more. And throwing cast nets repeatedly wears you out.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, I agree your arms can get wore out pretty quickly.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catching big skipjack can wear you out, too. The first time we went to Pickwick, my arm was sore for 3 days afterward. Loved it!