castnet regulations in Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by tomcat85, Dec 12, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ive been trying to find some stuff on it and cant seem to find anything. can anyone help me out please?

2. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I had a discussion with a fish commissionback officer in August about this very question. The actuall law for Pa is either 2ft diameter or 3 ft diameter. I don't have my book handy, but it definately states it in there. The problem is the smallest cast nets you can buy are like 2 1/2 or 3 ft radius, which would be 5 or 6 ft diameter. So why there is even a law saying you can use them to a certain spec. that manufactures do not even make is beyond me.
    If anyone knows how we could get some help in changing the law via petition or whatever, that would be great. The game commission should regulate what people are catching with castnets not regulating the nets themselves.

3. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    In Louisiana I don't think we have a min and max size. I do know that all you are supose to catch in it is bait.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    2-3 foot diameter is pretty crazy. here in Indiana it is 9 foot diameter and I wish i could throw one bigger sometimes.

5. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    Yes, it is ridiculous. I've heard of 2 people who actually modded a cast net down to the required specs. It would take a long time and would be a headache. Then your only covering a very minimal area so it would take all day to catch bait.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    We have a number of ridiculous laws in Pa. The cast net is one and the 2 rod thing is the one that I like the least.:angry:

7. Semper_Fi

Semper_Fi New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I agree............. especially when they allow us 5 rods in ice fishing season! Go figure!

Ernie