Casting vs spinning

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Seth, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Seems everybody prefers casting equipment on here. Why is this?

Also, I have always used big spinning reels and surf rods just for the distance i get casting. Do you think I could cast just as far if I had a casting rod that was 10+ feet too or would the magnetic breaking hold me back?

I like to bank fish alot, so casting distance is a big factor when I get my gear.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Seth,
    I have numerous rods for various types of saltwater and freshwater fishing. All of my reels are spinning reels with the majority of them being shimano sedona's. This is just my reel of preference and spinning reels work good for me in any situation I fish. As long as you have confidence in your equipment and your rigged up for the right situation you can't go wrong.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have use both, but I pefer casting reels.

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Go with the adjustable mag reels that allow you to change casting styles to different conditions if you are going that route.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I just can not cast a spinning reel like I can a casting reel. Don't know what it is but I just can not do it. That don't mean I don't use them because I do for bluegill and crappie you can't beat them with some 4# line. I use bait casters as a kid and that is what I learned on so that may have something to do with it.

6. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    both reels have their place.

for casting from the bank i prefer a surf spining, but from a boat or on a very small pond or lake i prefer casting because it gives me some more torque to turn big fish.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have both and use both but prefere spinning gear. I seem to always do better with my spinning gear for some reason.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Seth

If I'm not mistakin, casting has the record. That said I'm not real sure how much pressure a thumb would have to apply when casting 6 oz of lead plus a 10" whole Shad @ a full bore cast?????

I use Surf Spin.

:cool2:

9. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    From what I've seen, baitcasters are suited for trolling, and, in general, have a better casting distance than spinning reels. However, a lot of practice is needed to become proficient at casting with these. Spinning reels are easier to cast and less likely to bird's nest, but, in general, are not suited for trolling.

If anyone has experience to the contrary, please chime in. Thanks.

-- Rich

10. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have both and use both. My comfort zone is definately on the side of the casting equipment. The more I fish the more I move in the Spinning direction. Even with mone than 50 years of experience with casting reels I do better with less effort with my spinning gear.

11. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like casters for no other reason than just because.:roll_eyes:

Josh

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Well now I like spinners because thats all I have ever used and I,m to hard headed to change:tounge_out:

13. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    surf spinning reels are pretty much all I use. you can really lob em out there

14. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I have almost always used spincasters. I had a few spinning reels here and there but never really liked them. I had one with a trigger once. I thought that would make me like them better but it did not. I am going tomarrow to get that Abu 6000 Lightning rod combo at wallyworld. $60 is a good deal and I can't pass it up. It will be my first casting setup. I am willing to put the time into practicing so I have faith in this being a good thing.

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    If i'm chuckin lures a lot, i prefer my spinning gear. Fishin with bigger baits for catfish, i prefer the casting rigs. I use both often and like them both a lot...it's about personal preference and what one gets used to. There certainly is a learning curve with the castin gear.

cyas
    robert

16. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    i use both but id have to say i like casting better then spinning gear any day just more makes it easyier to turn the big ones

17. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    all spinning here! spinning reels can anything a casting reel can do and they can do it in bad weather or the dark. its funny how here i'll see all these casting guys switching if the wind shifts or the sun goes down. get a spinning reel and be done with it. now if you really want to put thisthing to bed spool a spinning reel with some braid and its a done deal!

18. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    At one time, I used only spinning and spincast reels. Around 1972, I bought an Ambassadeur and a Lew's Speed Stick. Learning to cast this beast was something to see, backlash every other cast, cutting line off the spool every so often. I went back to the spinning and spincast reels. A few month later, I decided that I would only fish with the Ambassadeur until I could cast it properly. In just a few days, weeks, the light went on. This was before this informative site or the internet, to help someone learn to cast baitcasters.

I prefer baitcasters because of the control you have over you cast. I can feather (thumb the spool) my cast to slow it down to get under limbs/docks/rock overhangs or to stop it before I catch a limb/tree bass. I have found, over the years, casting into trees, that bass just will not hit a plastic worms or jitterbugs hung on a limb 3 - 4 feet above the water. Lord knows I have tried it often enough. One would think that a bass would feel sorry for me and climb the tree for the lure.

I currently have 3 4600 C3's, 3 5500 C3's, 2 Penn 9's, 3 Penn 209's, and a Penn 350. I also have a lot of Zebco 33's, 808, and 2 11's for ultra lite.

I started my youngest son, now 23, with baitcasters at 10 or 11. I think he now has 7 Ambassadeurs and 1 Penn 9.

IMHO, it may take a while to learn, some never do, but fishing with a baitcaster makes it worth the time and effort.

My older son, 35, still has and uses my first Ambassadeur and Speed Stick. It is as old as he is. I gave him the last of my spinning reels and rods over 3 years ago, I just did not use them.

Just my thoughts. Have a good week

19. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I have both kinds and I'll have to say I like the baitcasters better. The control issue is a big factor unless i'm fishing wide open water. I can cast baitcaster farther simply because of the confidence of control that I don't have with a spinning reel. Another big plus for baitcasters is that they take up a lot less room than the big and gawky spinning reels.

Joe

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Steve, the pressure you'd have to apply with your thumb doesn't seem as much of a problem as the same pressure applied with mono to my finger when casting that much weight with a spinning rod. I've got spinning rigs from ultralight to a 12' surf stick, and casting reels from bass size up to Penn 309 and use them all, depending on the situation. If I'm in a situation where I'm going to need to turn a fish before it can run to a snag, I like a casting reel best.