Casting - upstream or down stream

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by surfchunker, Feb 16, 2007.

1. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    I got to thinking tonight and was wondering is it better to cast upstream or downstream when catfish ... and would it matter from bank or boat

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If you are targetting a specific area this would be one of your factors to consider. That and the ability to hold bottom if that is what you are tryin to do. If you are lookin to work lets say a slip bobber rig than castin up stream would allow you to work a ceratin area as well as castin down stream will. Its your call on what area ya wanna target and what type of rig ya are usein.

3. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    Lets say bottom fishing ....

If I'm on the bank and in the midle of a hole ... throw up stream or down ... I'm thinking if your up stream he will hit and go down stream ... your line goes slack ...

using a boat would you set up above or below the spot ... still bottom fishing ....

and using a slip rig .. fishfinder

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    All my fishin is done from a boat in tidal water. I set up above the area I wanna target and cast back to it usein a carolina rig. This rig allows me to put my baits in a specific area and get a good spread on em. I use a slip bobber rig in the same fashion. Anchor above the targeted area and work the bait back toward where I want it at the desired depth I wanna target. Never have been able to determine what way a fish is gonna go once it has taken the bait. I've had em head away settin of the clicker real nice and I've had em come toward the boat as well. Ain't it great! LOL!

5. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    I'm going to be fishing the upper Potomac .... smaller river here ... I'd be fishing holes and structure .. outside turns .. log jams .. any holes ...

We have a low water dam here which I love to fish ... but some of the company is questionable late at night sometimes ... never had any problems .... and I fish the lower end of an old train bridge mostly ...

I'm getting something to float/electic motor with either a jon boat or crawdad/pelican here soon

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I cast down stream because casting up stream give me a lot more chances to get hung up. If I am trying to hit a certain spot I go above it and let my bait at the head of the hole which is also where most of your active fish will be.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I cast upstream with a slip float rig, and then let float down stream.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I tend to fan cast when i'm on shore to see where the fish are in an area... Current or not... I use enough weight to hold bottom usually... (most places 1-1.5 oz is enough but i have up to 6's now thanks to Tim Hagan)... I usually do this only in the daytime so i can see the line, but I've done it in current areas at night too w/ the clicker on and the reel in freespool.... The weight will hold bottom and the line just slips through which ever way the fish decides to go. If your in a boat, its easier to anchor above the hole and fish down through the hole so most of that is down current... all though some drift fishers do set out lines up current of the boat almost like they are trolling

9. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Heres a few things to consider. When there is an obvious current most fish will run upstream when hooked, however if there is a prominant hole in front of you the fish will sit just inside the hole on the upstream side waiting for a baitfish or chunk of somthing to float by. So if the area you are fishing is relativley flat with current throw down and if there is a hole throw center or up just a bit. Good luck

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of the most widely used local methods of fishing the area below a powerhouse from shore is to cast upstream, using a heavy sinker, wait till you feel it hit bottom, raise your rodtip to keep the sinker from dragging on the rocky bottom and hanging up, waiting till you feel the sinker hit the bottom again, raise your rodtip, and so on, till your line is pointing downstream, at which point, you reel in and make another cast. This is a method for blues and channels. For flatheads, the cast is made downstream, and the sinker is encouraged to hang up; the bait is usually a live bream. Sit back and wait for a flattie to eat the bream. Yes, it costs you a sinker every cast, but you aren't making that many casts, either.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Very hard question to answer. Way too many variables to get just one set response. Like whitewater under the dam, middle of the scour hole, the tail-out, shallow flat between holes, head of a hole, middle of a hole, in the logs in a hole, fishing channels, blues or flats? Live bait or cut bait, swift or slack flow. You have to approach every situation as a learning experience as much as a fishing trip till you get it down. What works one day might not work the next. Here's what I have learned fishing live bait for flatheads under dams. (one of many scenerios). If on the bank at the Dam, walk as far upstream as you can, then cast as close to the dam as you can. Try to always stay in contact with the sinker,(reel up any slack) when it hits and stays you can move back down to where you are fishing from. ( Always on a tight line) don't let the current put a bow in your line. If the water is pushing straight back downstream on your line, the sinker will stay on bottom with a lively bait. You will have to move up to 6,12,18 OZ or better but you can keep your bait in the scourhole. You have now cast a live bait upstream into heavy current and are in position for a fish of a lifetime. The current on bottom is less than half what it is on the surface, create the angle and have the weight and you can catch fish your buddies can't reach.

12. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    lots of good info here

s_man ... casting at the dam info is a huge help thanks

13. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    if you are fishin on bottom in strong current you will probaly get hung or not be able to keep your bait were you want it if yu cast up stream.

14. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I anchor my boat in a spot that will enable me to cover as many potentially productive spots as possible. These can be upstream or down of my position - more often both. I then use whatever weight of sinker and strength of tackle necessary to present those baits in the spots I want and boat the fish I hook...Mostly!! :)

Enjoy the Spring action BOC!