Casting Sinkers

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by miichael, Jun 29, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What do you need to cast sinkers using a lee melting pot with the do-it molds and using car tire weights? Guy i know uses car tire weights melts them down then adds some kinda flux stuff to it once melted and dips off the trash and then makes lead blocks to use later. Do you have to use flux using car weights for just sinkers? if so how exactly do you do it?

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use wheel weights and don't add anything to them. I just clean off the slag when I melt it down and pour them into 1 lb ingots. I know you can add a small pinch of beezwax to your lead and it will make your sinkers nice and shiny.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

NO you don't have to use the flux but you do have to skim all of the junk out of it. The library here on the BOC has a lot of good info on this subject. Two things I will add is proper heat and saftey are REALLY important when you do this. It can be a lot of fun but molten anything can cause serious burns.

4. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    What size lee pot do you have?
    What size sinkers are you going to be molding?

You'll need an old spoon to scrap the sides and bottom of the pot after you pick the trash off the top. There's a lot that doesn't float until you cut it loose.
    A pair of gloves encase it gets hot. Keep anything wet away from the hot lead, 1 drop of water can empty the pot fast.

A lot of the lead I get has grease on it. So adding wax or flux would be a waste of time and money. I've added some when molding bullets and couldn't see any difference in the finished product. Pine wood is good to burn, smoke the cav. of the mold, turn them black and your sinkers will pop out better. You might get about 500 before you smoke it again. I'll pour about 2 coffee cans full before smoking the mold again. Let the sinkers cool before removing the spar or wear gloves. A good pair of side cutter do as well as spar/gate cutters.

I've poured lead for about the last 35 years. Something fun to work with. But keep an eye on all the cautions.

5. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    What size lee pot do you have?
    What size sinkers are you going to be molding?

You'll need an old spoon to scrap the sides and bottom of the pot after you pick the trash off the top. There's a lot that doesn't float until you cut it loose.
    A pair of gloves encase it gets hot. Keep anything wet away from the hot lead, 1 drop of water can empty the pot fast.

A lot of the lead I get has grease on it. So adding wax or flux would be a waste of time and money. I've added some when molding bullets and couldn't see any difference in the finished product. Pine wood is good to burn, smoke the cav. of the mold, turn them black and your sinkers will pop out better. You might get about 500 before you smoke it again. I'll pour about 2 coffee cans full before smoking the mold again. Let the sinkers cool before removing the spar or wear gloves. A good pair of side cutter do as well as spar/gate cutters.

I've poured lead for about the last 35 years. Something fun to work with. But keep an eye on all the cautions.

6. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Like RamRod said i dont add anything. If you have an old pan or even a turkery deep fryer you can melt lead in that. I just skim the top stuff out and make either 1, or 10 pound blocks. I like to keep my lee melter as clean as possible, because i make jigs also. Most say not to use tire weights for jigs but i think it works fine. I use the no roll mold for my sinkers.

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The lee pot has a bottom spout so you can just pour from the bottom. I know to skim off all the trash and ect. When making the egg and no roll sinkers how do u get the hole in the middle? I dont have any molds yet but plan to buy egg mold and no roll mold. It says they have pins but what do you do pour it in the mold then run the pins through? or do u put the pins in and then fill up the mold and pull the pins out.

Also wheres a cheap place to buy molds?

heres my pot...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=637732

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have never poured any no roll sinkers but on the egg sinker mold you leave the pin in while pouring your lead. One trick that helps me is about every third pour slide the pin in and out of a tube of grease. The tire weights work fine unless you are pouring bell sinkers. the bell sinkers will have a tendency to break at the neck if you hit something pretty solid. Other than that you shouldnt have to add anything to the lead.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The no-roll, egg, and worm sinkers all use a metal rod in the mold to form the hole. It does help to keep some type of lubricant on hand to put on them about every 4th or 5th casting. Just keep the trash skimmed off the melted lead and you will be fine.

10. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Wheel weights are easy to find, but plumbers lead sure pours and works better as well as melting at lower temp. As long as you are looking, ask for pure lead or plumbers lead. Also, I have a wire that is bent into an "L" shape with one end pushed into a wooden handle (like a file handle). I use the wire to clear the pour hole in my bottom feed electric molds and have that end flattened like a spade. Push it up from the bottom and rotate back and forth to clear the hole. The "L" shape and handle keeps your hand from below the hole. They plug sometimes on me. Wear safety glasses! Every once in awhile there is splatter due to moisture. It will happen to you . Also, sometimes I make a couple of pours just to warm the mold and get the lead flowing thoughout the cavity. Works better when the mold is warm (or hot).
    Hannibal Mike

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the tips guys! any info on where to order the molds online cheap?

12. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catfish connection, cabelas, bass pro.

All of them are around $30, but think of the money you will save. Heck i sell to my friends all the time. I sell them real cheap so they will buy mass quanity, and it adds up. Enough to pay for bait for a week sometimes.

13. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Where do you guys get your lead from?

14. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    sent you a PM on where to get cheaper molds.

The molds come with a rod for the holes. wipe it with an oily towel about every 5 to 10 castings. Remove the rod before you open the mold. If you lose a rod, or want different size holes, bike spokes are stainless steel and work great. Bend the end at 90 degrees for removal. A pair of pliers works great for this. Don't grab the handles and pull to open the molds. Don't place any tool in the molding area. A scratch can disform the casting. Use a tool to open the molds in the handle section. If a casting gets stuck in the mold, tap the mold on a block of wood, not a hard surface like steel. Use a pair of pliers , grab the spar and twist it out of the mold.

Buying lead: some tire dealers will give it to you, if they know you, You may need to buy some service from them. They may sell it to you. Check with a scrapyard, last I bought was lead flashing for .25 per #. I hear it at .40 per # now. The lead blocks that plummers use was 8.50 for a 5# block, 6.50 if you buy the 5 bar. Check around, you may talk to someone and find some free, get it out of their way. Check ebay, in fishing, enter lead in the search window. Watch the pricing and shipping. Some will give you a good deal.

15. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Jimmy I've gone to using the old lead pipe when I can get it at the salvage yards.

The EPA has made manufacturers of wheel weights to stop using lead. The new wheel weights are a zink/tin mixture and don't cast very well.

Jesse

16. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    One of the guys I work with cleaned out his storage building. When one of the indoor shooting ranges closed in town, he and a friend cleaned the backdrop out. He asked if I could use the spent bullets. I told him to bring it on. He delived 9 boxes of lead to me. Mixer of lead, copper jackets, burnt powder and pieces of targets. Since I was at work, I carried one of the boxes to the scale, 62#. After melting and casting sinkers from one of the boxes, I noticed the trash was still heavy. I set up a plate of steel and heated the trash and received another 7# of hard lead, or something. It takes more heat than I want to mess with in my pot.

17. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    One of the guys I work with cleaned out his storage building. When one of the indoor shooting ranges closed in town, he and a friend cleaned the backdrop out. He asked if I could use the spent bullets. I told him to bring it on. He delived 9 boxes of lead to me. Mixer of lead, copper jackets, burnt powder and pieces of targets. Since I was at work, I carried one of the boxes to the scale, 62#. After melting and casting sinkers from one of the boxes, I noticed the trash was still heavy. I set up a plate of steel and heated the trash and received another 7# of hard lead, or something. It takes more heat than I want to mess with in my pot.

18. Big Country

Big Country New Member

State:
    Union County, Kentucky
    hey bud all i use is tire weights to pour all the sinkers that i use and that i occasionally sell im pouring banks bells eggs and all sorts of jigs with the same set up as youve got now for the splitshots and pinch ons and muzzle loading balls and bullets i use pure lead because its bendable but for a sinker that stays the same theyre fine i even make shot for shotgun shells out of tire weights i never have fluxed any of my lead so i cant help on that but heres a couple of things that might help get an old spoon and a coffee can and every once in a while scrape the stuff off the top of the lead in your lee production pot and throw into the can and under no circumstances get any water or any other liquid around that hot lead because it will blow up and that hurtsif u have any questions feel free to pm me and well see what we cant figure out

Eric "Big Country"

19. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey eric where do you get your lead? im thinking about going to a junk yard with a bucket and walking around stripping the tire weights :big_smile: or i may hit the scrap yard and see if i can buy lead from there. I asked a local tire dealer and he was a butt hole and wouldn't give me any. :sad2: