Casting rod with spinning reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by alton, Jun 30, 2008.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am considering changing back to spinning reels. I currently have 12' casting rods with 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets. I only bank fish and distance is important for me. I assume putting spinning reels on these casting rods and expecting good distance would be like putting a pig in a dress. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

2. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I've never tried that. I suspect the bigger problem would be bending the rod "backwards" from how it was intended when fighting the big one...

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    You should be alright if you have braided line on the spinning reel, The monofilament has to much coil and will not sail through a baitcasters little eyes very well. As for the rod bending the wrong way, I have seen it done many times with bigger fish on and it doesnt seem to be a problem at all

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Mark J, who once posted that he thought it unlikely that average, mass-produced rods are built with any consideration of spine whatsoever.

You might consider replacing the first guide with something a bit larger.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I feel you might have a problem with casting long distances in that set up cause no matter what line you use the line still comes off in coils from spinning reels. If you use braided line you will not have near the problem but I feel you will still lose some distance because of the smaller eyes you will be trying to cast thru.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I actually did place a spinning reel on a casting rod once, and the first time I hooked into a big fish, it snapped, cracked and split like old firewood. I wouldnt recommend it. Just my opinion from a personal experience.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have done well going both ways for specialized fishing for smaller fish in straight up and down fishing.Multiplying reels on a spinning rod I kept upside down and reeled backward.I mainly used this for line length control on telescopic poles 9 to 20 ft.I also removed the anti reverse in some reels to put on these longer poles to reel forward.A piece of truck tire or tractor tire tube cut right will hold the reel handle.No level winds on the reels I am talking about rigging to reel backward and they were used for Bream,Crappie and such sized fish.

A spinning rod just don't work as well inverted under the stress of a "fish on" near as good as a casting rod will work inverted,all else ignored.

The diameter of your bails line pickup when reeling in and spool diameter when casting is going to be your main drawbacks.The bigger the worse.All reels are different.Also the distance to your first guide.

When ever possible I believe in having your bails line pickup with your line as close to your rod as possible while a fish is taking line against your drag.This is a very good policy with any spinning rig.Keep this in mind for a while and it will become automatic without thinking.I believe it puts less stress on your line,your whole rig and allows for more forgiveness when anything happens.I think it is even more important with a small first guide.

For your situation,I would try them to see if they will do what "you want".If not,buy the rod that will.You will always be able to use your present rigs in some situations.I believe there are two many unknowns for a answer unless someone happens to have your exact setup to test for you.

I wish I knew a definite answer without trying them out.I never knew with each one I used until I tried and I don't personally know of anyone else doing it until they tried mine,liked it and then set up what I had tried and was using.

The only reason I have tried these things so much is a wide variety of fishing types and as I slowly lost my ability to fish I tried everything I or anyone else could think of to help.Some worked,but many did not.

Sorry I can not be more help.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i have seen alot of guys with bogus setups like that, the sad thing is thyr catchin all the fish .:embarassed: :big_smile: :cool2:

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is by far the funniest thing I have read on here in a while, LMAO!!!

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    There was no humor intended with my question. I am sure when you lob a piece of bait off the side of a boat, the set up is not important. When you need distance, it does make a difference.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    trust me it wont work well if you are needing to cast any distance at all.

For short throws it aint gonna matter

12. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    I think that you'll lose quite a bit of distance doing that. I put a spinning reel on a Shimano flipping rod just to check the action, and with the small guides it was worthless. The trigger on the rod would be a bit uncomfortable also.

If you're looking for something @ 11', look at the "Predator" spinning rods from Cabela's.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true

I was in Germany last year and watched some guys fishing with this type of rod, and they were just launching their baits!

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, In a boat distance doesn't really matter that much. A boat will get you to places along the bank that you couldn't normally fish from the bank.
    Most of the boat fishermen that I know fish within 100' of the bank, there is a reason for this. These boat fishermen have a thing called a "Fish Finder" and most times the fish are closer to you along the bank than you think.
    Here, I will try to help you find what you are looking for.
    When Bank Fishing on a River You Should Look For:
    1. Outside Bends: the current creates scour holes along the bank and somtimes "undercuts" which will hold allot of fish.
    2. Log Jams: These types of structures hold allot of fish of different types.
    3. Back Sides of Points: Behind most points there are eddies, these eddies hold catfish because the baitfish stay in them to get away from the current.

All of these places are found withing 100' of the bank of any river. Long casts are not neccesary to reach these spots at all!!!
    This is what was so funny to me, LMAO!!!

14. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    as others have stated it will cause probelms it will cut your distance on casting down by 50% or more due to the guides on the casting rod an the line from the spinning reel slapping the guides there for slowing down the valocity of the cast from the friction of the line slapping the guides so best thing to do is if your going to go back to cacting either have the blanks rewraped for spinning or buy new rods with spinning guides on them only bad thing about spinning gear most rods u find on the market have the glass guides on them instead of the stainless guides and are really to small for long distance casts with spinning gear only true way to get a really good spinning rod is haveing one custom wraped with the bigger stainless guides on them hope this helps some