casting reels on spinning rods

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by wishiwasfishin, Mar 15, 2008.

1. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    around here all i can find around here in 9 foot has always been a spinning rod but i use bait cast reels. just wondering how many other people do that. those big eyes on the rods sure do make them ugly.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I have a couple that I use that way. I've never had any problems and caught lots of fish with them. I've got a 6500 c3 & a 6000c on 8' & 9' spinning rods and they work fine. Not the prettiest but you make do with what you have....At least I do...:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    only problem you might encounter is the spline of the rod will be on the wrong side of the rod which might cause the rod to be damaged or not handle the stress properly,Most of us have used them this way and under most conditions they work ok

4. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    you know i never even thought of that..good point.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Come to think about it I have an Abu Garcia Brute 8' Spinning rod that I always used either a 6000 or a 6500 on and it has cracked and chipped on one side where the rods 2 pieces fit together. May possibly be from using it like that. None others have had a problem though. Thanks Tony for that post! I'll get you Reps when I can again...:big_smile:

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you can order a 9 foot king cat casting from cabelas and have it shipped to you for probally under $30

7. wishiwasfishin

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i just can't order me a rod with out having it in my hands. i like to no how the rod feels. i know they got the actions and all that stuff but i need to be able to feel the rod.

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I put a cat reel on a spinner pole just to practice but I am going to get me a casting pole to do my acuall fishing.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Unless its a high caliber factory rod the spline is going to be all over the place anyway.
    Very seldom are they oriented right.

On a casting rod you can always tell because under load the tip wants to roll left or right.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just learned something and thank you all!
    BUT I AM ONE THAT DOES BOUT EVERYTHING I AM TOLD NOT TO:eek:oooh:Oh yea and we are still gion:big_smile_2:
    LIKE DA BUNNY!