Casting really far

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishing is fun, Feb 5, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Ive been looking at surf fishing sites, and cant find any methods to cast really far, ive been practicing the penjilum cast (yes i know spelled wrong) are there any other casts that will work with either a spinning or casting reel

Thanks
    Marshall

2. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    breakawayusa.com is a surf fishing site ... they have howto sections and what not ... there are several types of casts and the pendulum cast isn't really all that great of a cast to use if there's anything behind you ... gotta have a lot of room to do a pendulum cast properly. there is also the swinging unitech which is a cast that I developed and use down at keystone dam. the unitech is also a good cast. check out that site and you should be able to get a good idea of how they are done.

3. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

Thanks alot tiny

4. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guy,It take's some river time to get it down,I have gotten Most of my biggest cat's no more than 30ft off the bank some within 10ft,But Iv got some spot's that you just can't hit with a 8ft rod the River Chanel is out there in some spot's,So Id get a can full of spakpugs from a local shop and go to the river or football field ect ect and perfect your cast,,Hope this help's....

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Casting distance brings up an interesting question. People on the bank wants to cast as far out as possible. The people in the boats casts close to shore.Why? Not being able to cover the whold river drives one mad. In many cases it is the lack of confidence. Refine your fishing from practice, set a game plan, and adjust until you believe in what you are doing. Try it, it works.:big_smile:

6. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    here are some pictures of the swinging unitech cast and my first casting competition ... I was using a regular old lamiglas surf rod and a stock 7000c3 with the levelwind still on it. I mainly went to see what everyone used and I casted 629 ft with this equipment ... most of them thought that was pretty impressive as I placed 4th overall and 2nd in my class. breakaway sponsored me with a rod and the following tournament I casted 774 ft - 258 yds and beat all the former national champs that showed up and placed third overall just being out of first place by 12 ft. the rod makes a lot of difference ... reel tuning is secondary.

the top photo shows me starting the swinging unitech and when the sinker gets up by the rod and starts back down that's when I lay into it.

the second photo shows the rod loading up and even more in the third picture

Attached Files:

7. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    here's the 4th photo

Attached Files:

8. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Thanks tiny, how much weight were you using when you cased that 629 ft

9. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    practise practise practise theres no substitute:roll_eyes:

10. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    150 gram or 5.29 oz's .. you all have to use the same size line, shock leader and weight and have to have at least 8 wraps of shock line onthe reel when ready to cast for safety reasons.

the mainline when I started was .325 mm .. I think they've changed it to .31mm to conform to british rules. the shock line must be no smaller than .75 mm which I think is 60 lb test. and this is the line sizes for the 150 gram weigts

they started casting the 125 gram weights in the US also and I believe the shock line is the same size with the mainline size no smaller than .28mm

there is no restriction on the rods other than you have to have at least 5 guides on them I think ... the reel has no restriction other than it has to be possible to fish with it. here's a picture of a highly tuned abu ultra mag III that I threw over 800 ft with before I quit casting. click on the um3.jpg below

Attached Files:

• um3.jpg
      um3.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
  11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    the rules have changed a little.

line, must be made of monofilment, at least, high visibility and have a consistant diameter of at least .31mmi still use .33mm and now there is a tournament where braid is allowed minimum break strength of 15lb. and hi-vis is still prefered but moss green is allowed.

reel, must be of standard manufacture and available to the public(you know how they get around this one don't you?). only the bearings can be replaced no alterations to the reel.

rods, no restiction on length or material.

12. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Marshall,
    Also try the distance casting forum at www.pierandsurf.com. Very helpful stuff there. And listen to what Tiny has to say; he's one of the casting gurus. I've read his stuff elsewhere on the net. One of these days I intend to get serious about distance and work on it.

For a while, I thought that all this talk about 150 yard casts were either guys not knowing the difference between feet and yards. Then I was at Pike Island Dam on the Ohio River and I saw guy make a cast that was just about unbelievable. I didn't notice the cast, but he cast so far (to get out to an open dam gate) that I noticed the line fall and wondered "what was that."

13. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    hey tiny here's a couple of pics of me at a tournament i hit 749 and 743 on these days.

Attached Files:

14. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    muddler, depending on where you live in VA you have some serious talent living near you. go to pier and surf and ask around. you might be able to get out and practice with them and pickup a few pointers.