Casting Power Pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by alton, Jul 25, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish and use ABU 6500 and 7000's with 12' rods. I need distance where I fish. Has anyone had steady success casting power pro or any braid with this kind of set up. I tried power pro #50 and every so often the line would dig into the spool and that means trouble. I think maybe if I try #65 or #80 with the larger diameter that may help. I currently use #25 Breakaway mono which is a distance mono with the diameter of #17. I fish around and at the dam and love the strength of the braids. I used #50 PP on my spinning rigs and it was great, but I sold all my spinning equipment. Thanks

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    are you using a mono backer on the reel?

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I've got #65 on a Penn 850SS/12' Surf rod combo -- no problems. I know, different reel type...but regardless of line diameter, if it's digging into the line still on your spool you need to loosen your drag. If #50 is digging, so will #65 or #80.

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Make sure that you spool tight , also PP recommends using the same diameter line as if you were using mono . Make sure to set yuur drag as if you were using the recommended weight mono .

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    after catching a big fish or trying to pull out of a snag pp will dig in so you need to make a long cast without bait to go past the dug in spot and reel your line back on.

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    What he said. Actually if you snag up you should use a dowel wrapp your line around that and pull it loose. Then you won't get that line biting into your reel.

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've got a 6501C3 with :0a23:50lb power pro on it and when I'm casting from the bank I get good distance.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Truth is that the levelwind contributes to digging into the spool. Winding up CT or a nonlevelwind reel never exhibits that problem. The guys I know use 50# or greater with no diggin in with those types of reels. Switching to a bigger braid rating the size diameter is neglible. Loosening the drag and taking the pressure off by pumping the rod upwards to crank slack line helps.

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Like Larry said. If you get hung, up you can not brake PP like you would mono. You have to wrap it around the rod, dowel, or reel to brake it loose. NEVER try to break it loose like mono!!!