Casting PENN 320 GT2

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 14, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I went outside yesterday afternoon with the kids and while I was outside I decided to practice with my 320, my average cast was about 50-55 yds. and I was able to cast up to 70 yds. once or twice within a hour and half. I bird nest once, small one but still not quite used to it + about every 3-4 cast I have to stop after I cast and let out line due to the line kind of being loose. I haven't got the courage to let out the drag or what ever you call it, unloosen the knob to allow a freer cast. I was wondering what is the normal cast distance with these reels, I was using a 3 oz. weight on a MH TIGER last night. I can cast my 7000c3's seems at least a good 15 to 20 yds more with out worrying about birdnesting, any suggestions on learning any better, I keep forgetting about or not keeping my thumb on the line while casting all the time, it's a little hard to remember when used to abu reels. Figure if I can master this reel this year, (been practicing the last 2 years, have only practiced 3-4 days in a 2 years) then I won't have to worry about practicing anymore with my ambassadeurs, it'll be like childs play. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I will mainly be doing bank fishing and if ever given the opportunity will do some boat fishing----THANKS.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think you should be able to cast twice that far, given the right rod, line, and weight. The 3 oz. weight sounds like it might be just a little light for a MH rod. I've got a 15' river rod that needs 4 oz. to begin to cast well, and does best with 5 or 6.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerry's right. I can't cast my 320 without birdnesting unless I've got at LEAST 4 ounces of weight or more. This on a 13 and 14 foot surf rod.