Casting nets in Texas

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by LONE STAR, Jun 21, 2008.

1. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Does anybody know if it is illegal to use a casting net for brim/perch? I always keep one on my boat being here in NC I am always catching mullet in brackish waters for bait. So before I pull it out to use while I'm visiting in the greatest nation "Texas" I want to be sure of the regs before I do so. Any info is good info thanks in advance.

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I believe it is legal to catch any non game fish in a cast net. Only thing is I've never seen a lake with enough perch to catch in a cast net. I have caught a ton of shad in my net, as well as carp and buffalo. But, give it a try anyways. And thanks for recognizing TEXAS as "THE GREATEST NATION", you are so right.

3. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Thank you for the info, I've heard alot of people talking about using cut carp for bait so maybe I'm in luck.

"You can take the man out of Texas, but never take the Texas out of the man", (war cry, war cry)

4. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i will catch a few perch from time to time but mainly shad

everything other then bait that i catch is thrown back

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont know bout perch and or brim but ive caught tons of mullet and mud minnows in a cast net while fishing out of port oconnor texas.and been checked by the game warden while doing so and nothing was said.

6. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    The 2007-2008 Texas Parks and Wildlife annual fishing regulations book specifically states:

CAST NET- A net that can be hand thrown over an area.

1) May be used to take NON-GAME fish only.

2) May not be greater that 14 ft in diameter.

3) In SALT WATER, nongame fish may be taken for bait purposes.

On a personal observation, I have found that Bass Pro and Cabella's sell cast nets larger than 7 ft. Note the maximum diameter that is legal in Texas is 14 ft therfore a 7 ft is the largest size net you can have so be careful what you buy.

A copy of the rules and regulations is available on the Walmart sporting good counter and a slew of other places.

BAIT:

Something to lure and wildlife resource. It is unlawful to use game fish or any part thereof as bait.

GAME FISH: Includes hybrids or subspecies of fish on the list:

Bass: Guadalupe, Largemouth, Smallmouth, Spotted, Stripped, White, Yellow.

Catfish: Blue, Channel, Flathead.

Cobia

Crappie: Black, White

Mackerel: King, Spanish

Marlin: Blue, White

Pickerel

Red Drum

Sailfish

Sauger

Sea Trout, Spotted

Sharks

Snook

Spearfish, Longbill

Swordfish, Broadbill

Tarpon

Tripletail

Trout: Brown, Rainbow

Wahoo

Walleye

NON-GAME FISH:

All species not listed as gamefish except endangered and threatened fish which as defined and regulated under seperate rules

Hope this helps.

7. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i started out my self with a EZ throw cast net and learned it pretty good then a 4 ft reagular net workin my way up slowly

8. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Jeff thanks for the outstanding information that is good to know and to put in my tool box of knowledge. I only throw a 4 ft anything bigger and hell I'm just hurting myself. I'd rather be fishing than on the IR list. Thanks again for the info.:big_smile:

9. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had the same midset that you have in regards to the larger nets however I would encourage you to entertain the idea of the 7 ft net and here is why.

The catch ratio on a bigger net is no comparision to the 4 ft or so nets. I thought a 3.5 - 4ft was the limit to my ability. When I watched other people throw the larger nets and pull shad I found myself at least envious of what they could do when my little net would catch nothing or a few on a good throw in the same place the big boys were throwing.

Once I lost my net to an underground stump I decided I was going to learn how to throw the larger nets. I went to Walmart and bought a cheapo net. You can get a 7' net for 24.00 and some change. Yes 24.00 and some change. They sell higher cost nets too. If you cant find it I will post the brand name of them I just cant remember right now.

I had a buddy show me the following technique and I wil try and explain it the best I can

If you throw right handed. loop the rope on the right hand and coil it up in small loops about the size of the diameter of a 5 gal bucket until you are 3 ft or so from the beginning of the net.

With the right hand, extend the net up until the weights are off the ground holding the top of the net. Be sure there are no tangles in the weights and all the main lines are hanging even. If they arent you can fix them with your left hand.

Next grab the net about half way in the middle with your left hand. Now fold the net over and with the the right hand grab the fold of the net below the left hand and release the top part you were holding. The top of the net should be about 1 ft above the weights. At this point you should be holding a folded net with your right hand and the line should be coiled in the right hand too. I know that sounds like alot to hold but its really not.

Once you are at that point with the left hand reach down and grab a weight and place in your right hand hanging over your fingers. now you have an inverted V with weights hanging over your hand.

With the left hand againfollow the weights closest to your body down the net an arms length while keeping the weight line tight. Now grab that weight loop it up into you right hand fingers on top of the first one. In the beginning I repeated this for 8-loops. Be sure to stay on same line side when coiling the weights.

Once you have all the loops reach down like you are going to get another loop but instead start grabbing weights until you have about half of the remaining weights in your left hand.

Now you are ready to throw. When I toss the net I start with the net at about the 4 oclock position as I throw I release about 10 to 11 oclock with forward motion. I try and bring the weights in my left hand from 8 oclock to about 5 oclock to put it all in a counter clockwise rotation.

It is actually easy to do, I was impressing myself in the backyard in about 20 chunks. I only get better the more I throw however I still consider myself a rookie on the big nets but bottom line my catch ratio went so high I all but retired my smaller net. I did find a use for the smaller net and that is when I am throwing in the dock slips in the marinas cause the big net is too big for the slips most of the time.

There are multiple ways to throw the nets. I know there are easier ways but this is working for me until I learn some of the other ways. A little research on the BOC and I am sure you will find more. Good luck, and may your net sink deep, fast and wide.

Anyone else have any tips on the big nets??

10. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Jeff did you know Bob Ross? Because you sure know how to paint a perfect picture. I am pretty sure once I purchase a big net I won't have any problems. Thank you for all the info. Just another thing to add to my tool box of knowledge boy this is really a great site.