Casting net

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by whisker hunter, Sep 2, 2006.

1. whisker hunter

whisker hunter New Member

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Wondering what size casting net to get.Never used one so was thinking 3.5 or 5. Will mostly be used at CJ Brown.Thanks

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    the blue 5 ft cast net at walmart is a good net and fairly easy to throw,it is around 20:00 and holds up pretty good if you keep it out of rocks and snags

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Right on the money!!!!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I recently went to a bigger net. I was useing a 4 foot net and now have a 10 foot net. Talk about a difference, I had to learn how to rethrow a cast net. It didn't take long though. The size's you mentioned should do you great and the net's the guys mentioned are good.

5. whisker hunter

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Thanks for the info,our local wal mart has a five footer in a plastic box for 19.99.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If it's blue mono, that's the one. There are obviously better quality nets made but for use in freshwater where snags are inevitable, cheap is the way to go. If I only destroy one net a year, I'm doing real good.

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Yea it bites that Ohio limits there nets to five foot, I learned to throw in Tenn. and way back then I threw an 8 footer, I have a ten footer in a bucket at the house that I have never used except playing in the backyard opens to 20 foot man you could gather a lot of bait in short order with that puppy and the larger nets are easier to throw.............Doc

8. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont agree with the doctor on this one ive been throwing a net for years and from my experiance the smaller it is the easier to throw and i also have an easier time throwing a nylon net compaired to a mono net

9. whisker hunter

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Thanks again for the great input on this,we are going to cj brown tomorrow,think I will grab the five footer and see what happens.

10. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Gary,

I plan on being out there sometime in the morning if the weather is decent, will be fishing the North end unless the traffic is light then I may be on the main portion of the lake, give me a holler..............Doc

11. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    katcatchingfool,

I have never thrown a nylon net do they hold up better if you get hung on a snag? I know I have seen people throw them and they hang staright down and are not as billowy as a mono, but they look like your bait would get snagged easier in the netting, thanks for the input ...........Doc

12. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    IMO, nylons do recover from snags much better but they don't fall nearly as fast as monos therfore I can't seem to catch as much with my nylon as I can with my mono. My nylon is just a backup anymore.

13. whisker hunter

State:
    Springfield,Ohio
    Doc,will definitly look for ya.Didn't get off work in time to make it to the gathering.We will be in a older (1979) sea ray sundancer 24 ft. with a blue bimini.