casting net preference ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by hog223, Mar 27, 2009.

1. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    hey guys i'm fairly new to a casting net but i'm gonna get one to catch shad from shore & my boat. any recamondations on a size for a beginner & will a wal mart cheapy work ?

2. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I recommend 5 or 6 foot for a beginner. The cheap cast net from Wally World will work fine as long as its at least 5 feet. 3 or 4 feet will give you a hard time catch bait... Once you get used to it try use 8 or 10 feet, they are pretty expensive but its worth and will catch a lot of bait..

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree. All I use are the Wally World 5' nets.

Welcome the the BOC

4. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ahhh what ever ya can come up with will work , i like mono over nylon and from bank i like a 3.5 ft.

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Paul. I use the wally world 5 footer also.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    The smaller the better for me. I have a big one now and I cant use it:eek:oooh:

7. JEEPER

JEEPER New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I am new at this to and got one from wally world 5 ft

8. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I use a 6 ft nylon casting net.. the nylon nets are harder to throw and get really heavy after a couple of throws and are not as durable though... The only reason I use it is so that i can also get smaller bait like minnows and ghost minnows... where as with the mono nets from wally world alot of times the smaller bait will slip through the holes...

9. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    started with a 5, now i try not to use anything smaller than a 7 . wil use a 5 if the water is real fast, perfer a 12 ,,,, less throws ... more bait.l

10. F1shermun

F1shermun New Member

State:
    Ft. Gibson, OK
    I use a 7 foot net from the bank or dock. It is too much work to throw it from the boat. The 5 foot net would be a good choice. I started off with a bass pro net and the wally world betts brand net opens better, falls faster, and closed nearly perfect every time.

11. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Experience is the best advice on this subject, all the replys are good for net sizes. As stated 5' is a good all around size, plus if your throwing from the bank a small net is fine by the time the shad try to run from under it their already caught...if your not too deep. But when out of a boat 6'-7' nets work better in deeper water for getting more bait per throw.......hope this gets you started.

12. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i use a 4' net when i`m casting below the lock and dam or off a bridge,a 8' when i`m casting in open water or deep water, i prefer betts old salt (mono) , i may even move up to a 10' on my next net

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'll just about guarantee you that no matter what size net you use, or what it is made of, your gonna tear the net and probably get it hung up so bad at one point or another you will loose the entire net. Stay with the cheap ones...it's easier on your heart.

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the BOC Paul. I use the wally world 5 footer also.

15. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas

Cheap!!, I am good for at least 3 per year, I like a 6 ft nylon myself, but cheap mono ones have caught most of my bait, good luck....

16. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've got 3 of the wal mart 5' nets, and one 8 foot net I bought at cabelas. I only throw the 8 footer from a boat, though & use the 5 footers to throw from the bank. Generally when I'm throwing from the bank, I'm throwing at bait that I can see & don't need a bigger net. From a boat, I'm occasionally throwing on bait that I've spotted towards the surface but generally throwing at bait I see on a fish finder. When throwing blind, the 8 foot net makes for much fewer throws.

Whatever you choose to get, practice in your yard before you go to the lake and get all frustrated. Also, soak your net in a 5 gallon bucket with water and fabric softener prior to use & it'll relax the net a little bit & help it to open up more freely. Always hang your net by the horn and rinse it off after each use, and this will help it last longer as well.

The guys are right on the money, you're gonna tear them up. Don't sweat it. You can repair them by sewing hte hole shut with fishing line, if you can get the net back out of the water. When I bought my 8 footer, I hung it on a rock on the very first throw. No joke. The water was about 60 degrees, I was by myself, and I skipped down to my skivvies & went down and got it out. I wasn't losing a $50 net on the first throw!!!!:wink: