Casting net for catching shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Bross, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Bross

Bross New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to buy a casting net to catch shad. I have never thrown one before. Can you guys steer me in the right direction as to size, brand name, nylon, mono, and any other tips so I do not make a fool out of myself when I cast:)
    Thanks!!
    Brent

I never meant a catfishman I did not like!

2. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I bought one that was 5' dia. and made out of nylon and didn't have to many probs. it take some practice hope this helps:thumbsup:

3. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i recommend 4' tyzec mono. i buy them from cabela's or CATFISH CONNECTION. they are cheap and more durable than fitec. have tried nylon and didn't work for me. what part of ohio do you hail from? i have taught a few fellers like flathunter how to throw.

4. FAT_CAT

FAT_CAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Heck, I went to walmart and bought a 5' diameter cast net....the one's that come in the little plastic boxes. Within' 5 casts we had it down. Got some decent sized shad last night. Directions were pretty easy to understand, I just assume it takes practice. We bought the net with the 3/8" mesh, seems to work perfectly for most bait fish....hope this helps.

5. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if i was you i would buy a small one just to figure it out.[i spent more time catching myself then anything] but the small ones have a lot less steps to throw then the big ones.it took me about an hour to figure it out but they are fun to use.;)

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    for a beginner, the smaller nets 3-4 ft radius are the easiest to cast... thats what i started with and it built my confidence up when i would cast net and bring in 10 -20 bluegills in a throw... plus seeing some really good throws helped that too...

As far as learning to throw the cast net, there are a couple good videos and information/tutorials on some of the cast net manufacturers sites...

You also have to remember there is a completely different way to throw a 6ft+ radius net then the 5 ft and under... well its not completely different but it is different enough...

I now own cast nets ranging in size from 3 ft - 8 ft in radius, can cast all of them and am planning on getting the largest i can (12 or larger). All mine are mono. I would go for the cheapy ones at walmart since its your first and work up from there... esp if your on shore, your bound to lose one or rip on on something underwater and its best to damage cheap ones while you learn rather then expensive ones...

I would also practice in your yard before going to the water, because sometimes all you've got (esp if working shallow) is one cast before you spook fish and then youve gotta move...

7. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I use a three foot net. I can cast it much farther than the larger ones.

8. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
  9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Brent. Get in the library. There are some good artricles in there. Rat has a real good one with pics.

10. mississippicatfisher

mississippicatfisher New Member

State:
    Pontotoc, Mississippi
    My first time throwin a cast net was kinda funny to watch but i got the hang of it and started cathing shad like crazy and its also fun to

11. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used mono nets ranging from 3'-5 1/2', most of which were bought frrom Wal-Mart. I'd suggest getting one of these nets and learning. A guy that I met at my lake taught me how to throw them. It's a lot easier if someone teaches you, but honestly it isn't so hard that you can't learn alone. I just bought a nylon net and love it even more than the mono nets, although it seems like it would rip a lot easier than mono nets.

12. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Practice, practice, practice, especially in the backyard. It'll become second nature and it's a pretty good workout too.

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Myself and TA2D both have cast nets, and they are awesome for shad. Practice in the yard just like Mazdabob said. When you've got the form that works for you, and the net lands open everytime, then you're ready to get them Shad.

SudDawg