Casting net appointment

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by elizabuilt, Jul 5, 2008.

1. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    I just recently bought a casting net. This morning I thought I'd try it out. I went down to an outlet of a lake going into a river. I tried to make a good throw over and over again, but man it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. After 20 or so horrible throws, a fellow came walking by on the overhead bridge. He very politely laughed at my poor attempts to catch bait fish. He told me he was from Florida and could throw a net at theage of three. He showed me how to throw a net in two throws. There are five basic steps 1- coil the cord all the way to the net and hold it in your left hand, 2-fold the net about 12" from the top and grasp it in your left hand also, 3- put a piece of the cord where the weights are in your mouth, 4-grab a hold of the cord where the weights are one arms length away with your right hand, 5-cock yourself all the way to the left and with a spinning motion let go. I found it worked best for me to let go with my right hand first then my left then my mouth. This is the way righties would do it, I guess lefties would be opposite. You put the loop on your left hand. I don't know if this will help anyone, but it sure helped me. How awesome was that, if that guy didn't walk by at that right moment who knows how long I'd have been a miserable net thrower.

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :tounge_out:

Congrats on becoming a better fisherman.

:big_smile:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Now you're ready. I throw one a little differently, but if it works for you then keep it up.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also throw different, but if it's comfortable and works,,,let er rip.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I really wish you guys would stop putting the net in your mouth lol. It gives me shivers just readin it.

I did it the first time I threw a cast net (right outta the box) cause the instructions said to, but when I pulled the net back in and the bottom was covered in green slime I couldn't do it that way ever again. I had to find a less yucky way lol.

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I just put a post in the Cast Net Review section, with a short video that really works for me, I too been having difficulty tossing one.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Sound just like my wife...LMAO.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I think that's hilarious coming from you!
    This man carries hand sanitizer in his tackle box and uses it every time he baits up!

Seriously, it must be cause you are from Perry County where everyone is trying to save their tooth.....

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the best place to get bait in my area is at the sewer plant discharge and you wouldnt believe how many guys i have seen with the net in their mouth there!!:crazy: poop must taste good to them!!!!:eek:oooh:

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    well they may like it but i think id have to pass bait or no bait it aint gonna go in my mouth yuck:smile2: