Casting live Bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I do 100% of my flathead fishing from a boat where I am usually anchored out or tied up to where I can cast out in all directions of my desired spot....some casts are very short and some can become very long and require a little bit of ummmmph to get them out there. My main concern is for those casts that require a little bit of length. When using live bait I prefer to keep them as lively as possible and there are times when I cast that the bait hits the water at the wrong angle and sounds like a fat man just did a belly-flop off of a high dive right into the river...you know, one of those casts where as soon as it hits the water we went "ooooooooohh that didn't sound good" Usually when using bullheads and creek chubs this isnt a problem but when using bigger bluegill and shad this seems to happen more than I like and we all know that shad aren't the easiest bait to keep alive not to mention after being flung through the air and then smacked against the water. Does anyone else sometimes have this problem? What do you do? Or is this just part of it and we need to be prepared to sacrifice a little bit of bait. just to mention that it is not the way I am casting. I am using a light flexed tipped rod and lofting the fish lightly......I am just tired of killing off 8" shad on a cast
    Thoughts or ideas?

2. Bullhead61

Bullhead61 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    On long casts use bullheads. Short casts use shad.:wink:

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is my ideal thinking as well...but I don't always have access to bullhead. I usually take what I can catch earlier that day...wether it is bullhead, bluegill, chubs or shad. I completely agree but sometimes I am limited to bluegill and shad.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    that or move the boat . or invest in a remote control boat with a long range
    then attatch a crane on the front to cary the bait where you want it

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like using fresh cutbait for flatheads, myself. I have caugh alot more on cutbait than I have on live. The bait has to be fresh.... That is the key to a successful Flathead hunt!!!

6. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Just let out more anchor rope if you want to get closer. Live shad is really good bait.

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Live bait suspended under a slip float can be drifted up next to cover with little or no disturbance. Current, wind and even the wake from passing boats can be utilized to get the bait into position.

8. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is a good topic! I have thought about this alot. I do like everyone else plus I keep lots of rope in my boat. If you ever seen the flat rope that comes in fiber optic conduit, that's what I use. I will tie off to the next snag up stream from where I want to fish, sometimes I have to put a anchor out. Then I will use the small rope to let the boat back to the best spot to fish the big baits. Sometime that might be 100' of the small rope. I can set the boat right on the spot. Then I dont have to kill my big bait tring to cast them very far. Plus I can make a quite spash in the zone. I will put out two rods with my big baits right on the snag i'm fishing. Then I will use fresh dead shad or cutbait for the other rods i'm using and I can cast them a mile down and fish the other spots I can reach casting. Sometimes a good snag makes it tough to fish other spots a I will just fish three big baits. One near the bank, one on the end and one in the middle. I keep around 200' of that rope under the bow in 50' pieces. It takes up no room at all and it's tough as nails! 1800lbs strong! I have a trolling motor on my boat and I use it all the time to help in getting the boat in the right spot with out making alot of noise.
    All this to make short cast with big bait's so they live and swim.

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I saw bill dance doing that at a dam one time. I wonder how would you setup this rig and what kind of crane would you use? Tis could be very helpfull I have one of those wireless tranducers too could attach that to the boat and drop the bait right on top of other structure around you.
    If anyone has any pictures of this setup it would be nice.
    stephen

10. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I know what you mean about a big gill doing a belly smacker on a long cast. I know several people have mentioned moving closer but I know on the river I fish we go up to the markers at the dams. You are not allowed any closer so you gotta give the bait a good toss and get the dreaded belly smacker. The remote control boat is a neat idea but sounds expensive plus might be hard to see in the dark or fog. I really don't have a solution. I just take lots of bait and change it when it dies.

11. Buckmybass4

Buckmybass4 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What Bullhead Said.

Thanks JR

12. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I have this same problem. The way I apporach this situation is to use goldfidsh and make sure I have plenty for the night. Their the toughest baitfish i've found and have had very little of them die upon hitting the water.other then that, I don't know what else to do.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can try fishing the bait under a slip float and letting it dirft where the cats are.

14. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    I heard of a guy who used a remote control boat to get his bait out at a reservoir where boats weren't allowed. You could do the same by using the remote control boat to drag out the shad until the line gets tight and then have it fall out of a clothespin rig when the line pulls tight.
    I suppose if you had a kid with you they might enjoy running the remote control boat.
    The guy got caught by the game warden and he got fined because 'boats aren't allowed on the water'. Is that ridiculous or what?
    Now rules specifically mention it is illegal to use such devices. But that is because I live in Masschusetts where there are too many people with too much time on there hands, gettin too much money to think of ways to ruin peoples fun. And fishing is looked at as a drinking sport for dolts.