casting lead

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slikk03, Jan 10, 2010.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im wondering were i can get lead in bulk to cast my own, and if you need masks to avoid lead poisning, i dont need that already got nerve damage and leads a nerotoxin wen inhaled or absorbed in the skin, its safe in its solid form unless injested

2. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    WEll slikk..Most people dont..But i HIGHLY reccomend a Resperator..like theones used for painting or whatever..I never used one and i would feel like crap in less than a half an hour..Now i wear one and i can go for HOURS with out feeling sick!!!Just a little woosie from breathing in old air that i already breathed in..lmao..But it is simple and if doen safly FUN to do!!I poured around 80lb raw lead and ended up with about 65 lbs finished product..maybe more around 70 lb..but i was using wheel weights and the RAW weight had the Clips in them..Wheel weights are the cheapest route but not the best..I want to try a scrap yard but its snowy out and ill bet there closed anyway today..I got hit with the cabin fever so hard im slowly working it off by pouring sinkers then i ran outta lead!!!!!!!!!yoou can get wheel weights at a tire shop CHEAP maybe free or just give them a few beers...I would call them first because some wont sell to the public..Good luck on your lead huint..GLOVES are a must aswell!!!And long thick clothes!!!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wouldnt worry about a mask unless I was pouring inside. I do my lead pouring outside and allways upwind of the melting pot .

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Also if the wind is not blowing I have a fan I turn on. Main thing is not take chances, do what you are comfortable with.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im not going to be the one casting the lead lol, i got kids and that stuffs toxic , but im just looking for a blk of lead about 5 pounds or more of it, my freinds have the molds , im a chemical phob lol, i dont like chemicals they are one of my only fears, i got sick off many chemicals so its a big red alert for me lol, but my main thing is finding bulk lead

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    this topic is talked about a lot over in the special interest section called Jerry's Sinker Making Institute. A lot of people will give you different answers, some will only buy lead off a dealer, others will tell you to goto a scrap yard or tire shops. personally i goto tire shops and get used wheel weights. i paid $10 for a 5 gallon bucket this last time. you have to clean the lead really good, but for my purposes it is good enough. im not selling them, im just saving money. try those, or sometimes you can find it in the hardware store in the plumbing section.

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Well Slikk 5lbs isnt really bulk, its not really much at all. you should be able to get that fairly easy. The only time i wear a mask is when i am cleaning lead ,for example melting down wheel weights. Hit tire shops, truck stop tire shops are good because they get big wheel weights.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    he is right, 5lbs is not much at all, that will only make 10, 8 oz sinkers. if 5lbs is all you want i know bass pro sells it for $21 for 5 lbs cleaned and ready for pouring. but that is really expensive compared to the wheel weights and pipe. the 5 gallon bucket i mentioned i would say weighed close to 100lbs or better, and i gave $10 for it.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i forgot, if you search EBAY, they have it already in the ingots, the lead is cheap, but the shipping is what gets ya.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Check out www.rotometals.com they sell lead, wire, sheets, shot, bars etc. Ingots too, but the shipping is usually what gets ya unless ya want to buy a pallet of it, then its a lot of lead.

11. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    great post Tim, If you look at the site many of the items have free shipping just look for the green truck logo that means free shipping. prices look to be about $1.60lb not bad price for clean lead

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol yea 5 pounds is not much, i want more like 100 pounds, ill hit the junkyards, ill tell my bro, he knows them guys, thanks guys for your imput