Casting in a snaggy river.......

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by kyredneck, May 15, 2009.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ........I know, I'm gonna tear my net (3.5') up. But, are there any tips on how to get the most out of the net before it does get ripped? Like, should i start retrieving the net as soon as it hits the water to prevent it from snagging on the bottom? I'll be in a boat, can I allow the net to settle to the bottom, then move directly over top and retreive vertically and maybe minimize snags that way?

I just learned how to throw; went last night and cast a couple of ponds and was delighted with the catch of bluegills. My target on the river will primarily be threadfin shad, which imo, the river has a healthy population of.

Any techniques or tips on fishing for shad in snaggy rivers would be appreciated.

(hehe, i probably threw a couple hundred times practicing in my yard and thought, wow, I could do this all day; little did i realize the difference in casting a dry net vs. a wet net; the water definitely adds weight and makes a big difference; on a 6' net the extra weight from the water would be nearly doubled from my net; definitely something to consider before selecting net size imo)

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    There really isn't a lot you can do. You can find schooling threadfins up top and don't let the net settle but hitting bottom is best. Other options are just watching your graph and learn the bottom where you fish. Its just gonna be trial and error. If you do get snagged the best way to get it out is to be able to reach the top plastic collar and pull it up, then pull the net up if it will.

I keep Power-pro with me to fix it up if needed, it works way better than mono line ; )

G'luck and have fun with it.
    -Jim-

3. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    well since you have a boat you shouldnt have much of a problem catchin shad and getting hung up most of the time you can catch some good shad closer to the top and dont have to worry about letting the net sink too terribly far

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    your gonna catch more stumps than anything brother, By letting your net go to the bottom. I generally only let my net fall a foot or three. the more you let it fall before you set your retrieve the more chance they'll escape, fish are very fast. when it hits the water, as you know, it makes a comotion. I usually catch shad schooling under bright dock or marina lights at night. if i want bait fish like blue gill, catch those in shallow water on a muddy or sandy bottom where in this situation you let your net settle on bottom trapping the bait until you set you retrieve, less likely they'll escape that way. also less snags, but if you do snag it, you'll be in shallow water and salvage is easier. I dont throw nets in muddy rivers, to unpredicable, unless u have electronics and can see the bottom, and or debris.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Here is pics off me running crappie lights to net Bluebacks and threadfins. This is 20' of water with the net hitting bottom.

Running lights at night is the best way. Its nothing to catch a few hundred a night. This net is a 5' with 1/2 mesh.....they dont get away from dropping a net at all ; )

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cool. Thanks Jim; thanks everybody.