casting heavy sinker

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rmokti2005, Nov 17, 2005.

1. rmokti2005

rmokti2005 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Hi all.
    I've read that (in the old BOC forum) that the older Daiwa beefstick B173 can cast sinker up to 16oz,I'm wondering are there any modern rods that can cast up to 20oz and at lease 7' and tough as nail??

Thanks.

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    check with gator he is the rod expert on the site and you might check out the better brand snagging rods ,they will handle about anything you want to throw.hope this helps

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do believe the ugly stik bigwater rod, at 12 ft long in heavy action is rated close to 20-ozs...I had a 10 fter in heavy action and it would throw 12-ozs no problem.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    a 1#4 oz sinker. where are ya fishing the mid level of niagra falls lmao.

5. rmokti2005

rmokti2005 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    where can I find those long snagging rod on the web?I prefer 10' or above.

the ugly stik is rated for 6-20oz,right??Is it a very soft stick??coz rod with a wide rating is usually softer...... BTW,I'm using power cast with them (pendulum,backcast) , do you think they can withstand those force??

Not at niagra,actually I'm a surf/rock angler,I'll be using the rod for big stingray and casting a 6/0W with it.

6. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Ugly stik makes a big water surf rod that is rated for 24 oz . I believe they are 12 and 15 ft. Check out the catfish connection, our sponsor I got one there.

7. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

why in the world u using a 6/0 for stingrays man?u goin after the black manta rays?ive cought cownose rays over 100 lbs on 17 lb mono anda diawa slx 30 shv.ive seen them around 200-250lb cought on the same reel.its 1/10 the size and can throw 8 plus bait over 100 yards.

8. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

another thing...im not trying to dis you or anything but a true pendulum cast or backcast plus a 6/0 reel plus 20 oz of lead will never happen withoutyour thumb slipping .....atleast i pretty sure it cant...tournement casters thumbs slip often with 5 oz and small abus with a pendulum.

9. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

the ray fights average about 15-45 minutes.sufix tri 17 is a beast of a line

10. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

as far as getting spooled i know of ppl who have cought 200-450 lb santigers with the diawa 30s..i also know of plenty of times of 12/0 being spooled

11. rmokti2005

rmokti2005 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Vacatfisher,I think you're surf fishing for the ray,right??That's not too hard to land ray of that size.(in the surf)

The condition of fishing DO affect the selection of tackle.

Imagine the following situation :
    Your rock hopping for Snapper and Grouper and there are many underwater structure ,when you're bait is taken by a big big ray,do you still let out line?(if you let out line,it'll be cut by shell , hang up on the rock......)

And you won't believe a big ray of that size will even swim close to a rough ground,until you actually hook one up. I've hooked a 40kg(estimate) ray,with an abu 6500 and I let it run and I fight it hard,I've once bring it close to the shore and it want to dive it's last time,suddenly the line was cut and my largest ray just go away.

The abu 6500 is packed with 30lb braid and packed full,the ray almost spooled me twice!!

Casting a 6/0 isn't that hard (of course not a 200 yards one) once you get used to the weight of it. Casting a 6/0 with pendulum is another thing,I usually cast with a backcast style and USUALLY I can reach 100-130yards .

12. rmokti2005

rmokti2005 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Thumb slipping is a real problem and it's not too bad after you get used to it. Of course if you want to be ABLE to cast a 6/0,you have to condition your whole body and practice REAL HARD!!

If you're still slipping on a 6/0,try replace the line with a rougher finish one,Ande slip more than berkerly BG.

I've many buddy that can cast 4/0 to 6/0,some can even cast a 9/0!! :cool: (60-90yards)

13. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i surf/pier fish....i actually hate rays...they just steal my cobia bait....i have to say if you can do a backcast witha 6/0 you should think about tournement casting...most ppl can only cast 100-130 yards with a reel designed for such distances like a the diawas and abu 6500ct mags....i can see why u need the heavy line...i fish hatteras and the ches. bay and the only thing my line runs gainst is sand...

14. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

oh...what kinda rays do you catch.??...we get cownose and manta rays and butterfly rays

15. rmokti2005

rmokti2005 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Tournament ? No way,I'm from Hong Kong and I WISH I'm not ! :D
    (Hong Kong is such a boring place,no firearm,no self defence weapons allowed and even no pellet rifle for plinking!!)

For the species,I don't really know,havn't study it through,but some of them have spot,some have circle,some with short tail and of coz some are long.

People here usually EAT what they caught(although I'm a catch>picture>release person.)

Last year,I'm rock fishing and I go alone,I've hooked a grouper(about 3' head to tail) and bring it close to the shore,I tried hard to land it with a NET but I failed 3 times (with a heavy rod and 6/0W on the left hand ) so some other angler around try to help me GAFF it,I tell them not to do it coz I know if I let them help me,the fish gotta die coz the angler who give me a hand would ask for a reward.......... and yes,the reward is the fish(may be part of it.)

At the end ,I have to cut the leader and I do this just to protect the fish and the environment.