casting distance?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by OklahomaFever, Apr 25, 2008.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    abu with best casting distance? i know it depends on line...but does anything really beat a 6500 on casting distance?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    This reminds me of casting from a boat towards the shore and bank casting towards the boat. :roll_eyes:

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I played that game and the #9 penn was 15 feet shy with a 3 foot shorter rod than my cousin and his 7000 ...

and i have a 6500c3 an a 10 foot rod ,and it has 65 power pro line and no brakes in it...and it will cast the same distance as my 330gti penn with a 14 foot rod and cheap 30lb mono....

user and rod length play a big roll in casting distance ...I do beleive the 6500c3 on a 14 footer would be the cats meow

4. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats what i was thinkin...i have a 6500 blue cat with a 15'0 and i use pp #50 line...and i have yet to see someone cast farther than me :p

5. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I saw a guy with a 15 foot fenwick and a 320gti with mono throw to the second gate over the wall at eufalla:crazy:..
    .I asked how far he could throw and he said he had to respool anyway...so watch this...that was a lot of air time..and a lot of reeling in

can you throw that far?

6. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    did you forget to post a link or something? i can throw with 2oz around 75 yards...on average

7. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    No just talkin' i will have to measure my distance ...I can hit the wall at gibson..but do not know in yards, how far it is...Just spooled some reels last knight

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 6500 and 7000 Pro Rockets on 12' rods and I am very satisfied with both of them. I believe if pure distance is what you are after I would look at the Abu Blue Yonder which has no level wind, if you can cast non level winds. I have found the rod is just as important as the reel for distance casting. If you have to cast a 6oz weight and bait, your rod has to be able to handle the weight. If you fish in calm water and use 2 or 3oz weights the rod can be a bit softer. I would take a good look at the lure rating on the rod and be sure to use a casting rod, not a spinning rod. It is very difficult to find casting rods over 13' and if you do, they will be around $400.00. Good luck.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The narrow spool Newell 220 F will easily easily in the right hands cast its entire spool . . . 600ft. Best stock casting reel from Abu was the old 6500CT Mag elite that I know hit over 700 feet.

As for myself I use the 13' Breakaway with the 7500C3CT that easily hits 400 plus feet with 30# mono using the pendulum cast.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    There was only one time when I've meaured casting distance and it was on a cold day (25 deg.) and I was casting 4oz banksinker using a 209 Penn spooled with 50lb mono on a 6ft rod and it made 75 yds.The rod and reel had been in the back if my truck for 4 hours so that mono was cold.One night the summer before my son and I were fishing on a small river and he couldn't cast bait with his spinning reel far enough to fish in the hole where I was catching fish.To prevent spooking the fish I would cast onto the far bank then gentely pull the bait into the river.

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    The Penn Jigmaster-Squidder will throw a long way. I can get my Squidder to cast 55+ on an 8 ft whuppin stik with 4 oz of lead... and I'm not that good of a baitcast guy.