Casting Distance

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post was made by Justin Cantrell(Justin) on April 5, 2003

I shared my formula with some of my fellow brothers and was suggested to add it to the Library for everyone to read, so here it goes. A lot of people don't know how important casting distance can be when catfishing, ecspecially with shorebound anglers. A lot of times "ecspecially in tail-waters" it can make an incredible difference. There are alot of guys who can cast over a hundred yards and some who can sling some lead over 200. These guys can reach water thats virtually untouched by anyone else & in tail-waters when their releasing water to far out for most to reach, these guys are tearin' em up! So i'll start with a few tips on how to get more cats from your cast.

First of all you're gonna need the proper gear. A long rod will cast further than a shorter rod, so a 10-12 foot rod will be necessary. You'll also need a reel big enough to hold alot of line, like a 6500-7000C3. Finally, the line will have to be strong enough to absorb the power that is put into a long distance cast with a 4 oz weight. If you're using mono then your gonna need atleast 30 pound test. I prefer to use 80# braid, its smaller in diameter so I can fit more on my reel and get a further cast. Once you have all the gear you just need to get out and practice!

I like to use a cast called the "Pendulum" cast, you'll understand why its called that when I explain how its done. But first you should always be careful when your casting a 4 oz weight with power. You could break the line and send the weight flying almost anywhere, so be sure to excercise caution when casting. Now for the steps in the cast!

01) Your gonna start by tying a 4oz weight on the end of your main-line.

02) Allow the sinker to hang 4 feet below the eye of the rod.

03) Get where you want to cast and turn around about 3/8 of the way so that your almost facing behind you.

04) Spread your feet apart so you get a firm stance & take the butt of the rod in your left hand and hold the reel with your right! Opposite if your a leftie!

05) Now you should hold the rod so that its pointing opposite of the direction you want to cast and at a 45 degree angle from the ground.

06) You can now swing the weight back and forth so the it looks like a pendulum. Practice this for a while and do it while turning your head and looking at where you're going to be casting. This will help you keep your eye on the target and feel where the weight is on its swing.

07) After you feel comfortable with your stance you're gonna practice the cast without actually casting. Just go through the steps at a pace fast enough to keep the line taut. Then allow the line to run into the ground in front of you.

08) When casting, you're gonna want to let the weight swing just like before.You're going to let the weight swing towards you, then as it swings back away, you're going to begin your swing as the weight gets past the bottom point of it's swing. When you feel the weight of the weight, begin the throw.

09) The throw: make sure you're in the proper stance as mentioned above and let the weight swing back and forth a few times, look at the target. When you feel you have the timing, your gonna press up with the right hand and pull down with the left, catching the momentum of the weight. As you feel the rod load, you're going to take your right foot and bring it around your left, so that you are now facing the water "continue to add pressure with your right arm, thrusting up at a 45 degree angle towards the target.

10) As your weight reaches the top just allow the rod to fall straight forward, running the weight into the ground. Repeat as much as necessary and adjust your footing or anything else that doesnt feel right.

11) Now when you're comfortable with the cast you can start actually casting. Just release the line at the top of the cast and point the rod at the weight as the line is released, to reduce friction. BTW: you'll wanna keep a good hold on the line as you cast, and you'll wanna start out kinda lightly. Don't throw all your power into it on your first throw. Just slowly add more and more power on each cast as you feel comfortable. When actually using this cast while fishing, you'll need to hook the bait very well, I hook heads through the eyes!

That is the basic cast, you can alter it to fit you. Its just so you get the idea behind it. The pendulum action is where alot of the power comes from and it can be used alot of different ways. Just practice and you should be able to clear 100 yards. Now sending it over 200 yards will take alot more practice. I can clear 100 yards, but even with practice I may not be capable of hitting 200!

Now i'll show you a formula for seeing exactly how far you're casting, so you can keep up with your progress. Its really fairly simple! First you're gonna need to take two simple measurements. The first will be how much line your reel will return with one rotation of the handle while the spool is empty. The second will be the same with the spool full of line. The return rate per rotation changes with a full or empty spool. Now you'll need to find the average return rate for that reel, for instance, lets say one reel had a return rate of 28" with the spool empty and 32" with the spool full, this would make an average return rate of 30" per rotation. This is the return rate you will use. Now all you have to do is make a cast and count how many rotations of the handle it takes to return the weight to it same position. Lets say it takes 120, you take the 120 and multiply it by the 30". This makes 3,600, the exact amount of inches you just casted. To change that to yards, just simply divide the 3,600" by 36 (the amount of inches in one yard). In this scenario it would equal 100 yards. And thats all there is to it.

I don't want to have to carry a calculator around with me so I make a chart! This will tell you how far you casted without all the math. Like the one below that would be based on the numbers we used in this scenario.

80 rotations = 66.66 yards!
    85 rotations = 70.83 yards!
    90 rotations = 75.00 yards!
    95 rotations = 79.16 yards!

Etc. etc. etc.! I hope maybe this will help someone catch a few extra cats! Just keep practicing and you'll get it. Now go catch a biggun!