Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two pflueger poles ,One is a Trion GX-2 with a7’ pflueger pole bought as a combo so well matched but missing 6”( car door) and converted by me from a 1 piece to a 2 piece.it’s now filled with Yo-Zuri 20 lb super braid.
The other is a Pflueger President XT with a Bass Pro pole also a matched combo from,of course Bass Pro shops.this is 6’7” and still a complete one piece( I’m getting used to them) this is loaded with Trilene Camo monofilament also 20 lb.
I had just loaded the Trion with the same Trilene a couple days ago,and went fishing at night and enjoyed myself but was thinking I wish I knew how far I was casting because it seemed I was not getting out far at all but it was night,I figured I should be at least able to reach 30 yds without adding more weight.I was using 3 way rigs with a three way swivel,earthworm,3/8 oz. egg sinker,but looked to me like only reaching 20 yds, bottom line I thought I should be able to cast further than I was.I wondered then,( late at night to much time to think!)what if I used another line,and I had Yo Zuri 20 lb ,doing nothing ,so I devised a test to test how much better braid was to cast than Mono same weight,both decent brands about middle of the road quality.I removed the Red mono from a Mitchell ( old stock) and transferred the newly loaded Trilene camo to it sos not to waste it,then loaded the Trion with about-+ 250 yds Yo Zuri 20 lbto about 1/8” from full.
I figured th reels and poles were roughly well matched and had a casting contest on my driveway.The Trion with Yo Zuri super braid was,of course,distance winner ,three casts were 49 paces,45 paces and 42 paces. The President XT was30 paces 32 paces and 32 paces this was with the same exact piece as far as sinker weight is concerned ,about a 12 -17 pace difference my pace is about a yd.not a scientifically exact measurement but close enough for fisher guys like us I hope this helps…somebody!

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
74 Posts
You want to add distance...........my bank rigs I use in winter are 12' surf rods,Daiwa BG 4500,5000 and a 6500 all loaded with 50 lb braid and 2-4 oz weights.As long as I don't have a head wind I can cast from one end of the end zone at our local football field and easily hit the other end zone.My goal is to split the uprights........I'm about a .300 slinger.I've tried this with 30 lb mono.....................70-80 yard average.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have broke every one piece rod I ever owned ,except my newest one my wife bought me this year.I usually shop for two piece rods when I shop.I am trying real hard with this one to keep it intact.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Depending on the brand of braid, the line thickness and weave is what makes the difference in casting (excluding all the other variables). Most 20 lb braids for instance can be anywhere from .005 to ... .013. I know that doesnt sound like a lot but it makes a BIG difference! The 20 lb braid I use is .007 (4 strand) and distance casting is a no effort endeavor.

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
74 Posts
Depending on the brand of braid, the line thickness and weave is what makes the difference in casting (excluding all the other variables). Most 20 lb braids for instance can be anywhere from .005 to ... .013. I know that doesnt sound like a lot but it makes a BIG difference! The 20 lb braid I use is .007 (4 strand) and distance casting is a no effort endeavor.
PowerPro 50 lb .014..............very castable

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Kast King Super Power here....50 lb, 4 strand, .013.............great distance. .012 is the smallest diameter so we are both near that. The thickest is .022. Stay thin, go long.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of my spinning reels are similar in length I think.I never measured them but my minds eye says about 1 1/4” -1 1/2” I never thought of that aspect,is that what your talking of heystoopid70? Or are you talking of another type of reel? Ill have to see also the size of Yo-Zuri 20 lb super braid.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I read somewhere that the longer spinning reel spools are not necessarily the best at long distance casting...the longer spool creates more resistance to the line unfurling when it sheds the spool...but, of course they do give greater line capacity......probably a toss up for gain and loss...... pro and con.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts