Casting distance with abus (6500&7000)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by GMC FishHauler, Feb 16, 2007.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i am looking for a response from someone who has both 6500&7000's.
    i got a 7000 for V-day and it doesnt seem to cast as far as the new 6500 that i got a week before. I have tried heavier weights, longer rod, and looser spool tension. It still doesnt get within 20yrds of my 6500.
    Any body got any info?

2. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what size line do you have on them? that makes quite a bit of difference. also your casting style with one vs the other may be a little different. do both reels have bearings instead of bushings? if the 7000 is a red c model then the spool doesn't have bearings and that could make a little difference but normally the casting distance should be about the same if you have the same sized line on both of them but if you have the big brake blocks or all the brake blocks in the 7000 it won't cast as far as the 6500 because the 6500 just has two little plastic brake blocks in it ... the 7000 when you get it new will have 4 in it ... most folks around here that use them on surf rods will take two of the brake blocks out of the 7000's to give them more casting distance ... the harder the reel is thrown the more pressure the brake blocks apply to the brake drum so with 4 in it it's probably killing the cast. take the three thumb screws loose (they don't come out all the way and turn the reel on it's side with the reel handle end up and pull it straight up off the reel once you've got the thumb screws all the way out and look and see how many brake blocks is on it .. if there's 4 ... take two of them off ... before putting the righthand side plate back on push the remaining two brake blocks towards the center of the spool so that the side plate will go back on easily ... set the side plate down on the reel and turn the crank handle gently until the side plate falls into place then tighten the thumbscrews back up ... tighten them finger tight and then 1/8th of a turn more with a screwdriver tool that came with it. don't torque them too much cause they're easy to strip out.

also to increase casting distance you can leave all 4 blocks in it and put a drop of oil on each one ... they're really smooth like that and still work well to control the backlash ... 3n1 oil works good on the brake blocks because it's not too slick ... don't use 3n1 on the bearings .. I've smoked a set of bearings using 3n1 before. 5w20 motor oil has worked really well on my 7000 and 6500 bearings and it doesn't throw out of the reels or disipate like rocket fuel does. if you reapply rocket fuel oil regularly like every other fishin trip then it works fine. the rocket fuel is the kind of oil that comes ith the new abus ... it's the rocket fuel red label or "fishing grade" the yellow label is the tournament grade rocket fuel and it's about as thick as wd40 so don't us yellow label rocket fuel on a fishing reel. At least it seems like that was what the yellow label was ... mark edwards is still in casting competitions so he may know more about it ... I haven't competed in a long time so I ain't sure if my memory is correct about the yellow label rocket fuel.

the brake blocks are how you adjust the backlash control on abu 7000's and if you have too much then the reel doesn't perform well as it'll kill the casting distance ... I just got finished cleaning and lubing two of my 7000's and I replaced the fiber brake blocks in one of them with plastic ones and that dude will sickle now. it's almost too fast but just about right ... with just a tad bit of primary spool tension (the knob on the lefthand side plate) it casts without any fluff of the line at all with no thumb pressure ridingon the spool ... that's how you tunethe 7000's is by adjusting the size and number of brake blocks you have in it to match the size of your line and distance you're casting .. if you're casting very small baits with 15 lb test out to 200 yds you can get by with one medium sized one and one small one with a full spool of line ... if you overfill just a little then you'd have to have two medium sized brake blocks in it. Hope this helps.

3. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    my new 6500 has 6 brake blocks in it. the 7000 does have 4 and i will take 2 out thei afternoon. the 6500 has 17lb stren and the 7000 has 20lb stren. will this make much difference?
    both reels are filled to 1/16" from outter edge of spool.

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv noticed my brothers penn's cast alot farther than my abu's but he doesnt have level winds , if i was to remove the level wind on my 7000 it would more than likely cast farther but would slow down the retrieve is there a way to speed up the travel of the level wind without removeing it . if you pay close attention to the line you can see it come off the spool not inline with the level wind as it moves back and forth over its travel what can be done about the resistance at that point

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i was looking at that when casting and mine does not SEEM to have that problem. maybe i wasnt looking hard enuff or something.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a Abu 5000, 5600, and a 6000. I got my backlash control lose so I can get good casting distance I use 1 oz weights, expect for the 5000 I use it for bass fishing I got it rig Texas style with a bullet sinker and I can cast that rig far to. It just take practice, and u got to have the reel tune just right.

7. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the abu 7000's don't like to not be full of line .. I always overfill mine just a little past the edge of the spool .. can't do that on 6500's becaue there's not enough clearance but there's plenty on the 7000's and they cast a lot further when they're full of line. the 6500's aren't as badly hindered by that. the bigger, heavier spool on the 7000 will actually cast further than the 6500 if it's full of line as once the cast gets towards the end on a 200 yd cast the spool diameter is still big on the 7000 and the 6500 will be almost out of line. you're probably not casting that far with them but filling the reel will make a bunch of difference. also if you fill it you may want to leave the 4 brake blocks in it ... it won't hurt to remove two of them with the spool not full though. in other words it'll backlash easier with a full or overfull spool than it does when it's not filled to 1/16th of an inch below the edge. the added advantage with the full spool is a lot longer casts.

removing the levelwind won't help distance but maybe 2% of so ... I've gt both levelwind and nonlevelwind 7000's and the difference is maybe 15 ft on a 250 yard cast so don't remove the levelwind ... remove some brake blocks because there's no way that a penn 320 gti will cast further than a 7000c3 ... if the brake blocks are set right and the reel is full of line it'll smoke any penn made except for the penn 525 magnet reel which is a whole different animal ... any other penn on the market besides that one will be left in the dust ... on he other end though ... there's probably only one abu that can compete with the penn 525 mag and that's the abu 6500 ctc3 ultramag or Mag-X and it still won't outcast the penn 525mag because of the bigger spool on the penn 525mag. there's no way to set up a 7000c3 to compete with a 525 no matter what you do without some really serious upgrading and it'd all have to be custom made upgrades like filing off he centrifugal brake block pens and then machining a magnetic backlash control and drilling a hole for it in the left hand side plate ... there was a guy over in hawaii that made them for 7000's but he hasn't done it for quite a while ... a person might be able to use a conversion for some penn reels and fit that on the abu but you're talking about major modifications and it's just a fishing reel ... not a competition type deal but the best way to get max distance out of an abu 7000c3 is a good lubing and just two brake blocks in it with a full spool of line and a little overfull is best for casting distance on the 7000. smaller line diameter also helps a lot ... I mean a lot too. the spool diameter doesn't go down as fast as it would if it's got 20 lb test if you use 15 lb test or even 12 lb ... in order to use the lighter lines you have to use a shock line though and one probably doesnt want to do that for a short rod. if you use 14 ft rods you can use 15 lb test on an abu 7000c3 as that's what I did for years .. my biggest blue below the dam was 50.5 lbs and I brought it in on 14 lb test USA1 shakespeare line and a 40 lb ande shock line. that's about 20 ft of ande 40 lb test tied onto the 14 lb test mainline with an albright knot ... you can go to www.marinews.com andsee how to tie an albright knot and a bunch of other knots as well because they have a bunch of animated gifs to show you how to tie them.

that's the worst thing though is to underfill and abu 7000 if you're wanting casting distance ... overfill slightly and use only two brake blocks but be careful until you get the feel of it because it'll be a lot faster when you fill the spool up with line. you can just splice the line on and fill it to see whatI'm talking about. use a bloodknot or dropper loop and cut off the tag ends and overfill the reel just a little an cast it like that and you'll see a really big difference. also you'll have to respool them less often if you overfill the reel because each time you retie your terminal gear you'll use some line to do that and breakoffs use some line sometimes ... with them overfilled just a little you can go quite a while longer without having to respool them. Using a shock line also prevents having to respool too much unless you use a carolina rig ... if you use a drop rig where the sinker is tied on bottom and the hook tied on about two feet up with a dropper loop then you use up about 3 foot of line each time you have to retie.

but just check that out by splicing it and filling it the rest of the way ... if you like the casting distance improvement well enough then you can pull about half to 3/4 of the line off the reel and splice it then respool it ... there's no need to take off 100% of the line because you'll never get down that far by casting it unless you can throw 300 yds.

K4 ,, if you just have to take that levelwind off ... I'll trade ya my 7000 non levelwind frame for your's with the levelwind ... if you remove the levelwind you have to buy a conversion bar and mine already has one on it ... I'd trade it for one that's got the levelwind still on it.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have a number of Abu in the 6500, 7000, and 7500 series. If you have the newer 7000iC3 then you have the bigger centrifugal brakes. On the older 7000 you could remove 4 of the brakes and replace them with two lighter ones for distance. If you want to adjust the newer brakes just push in two of them until they lock. They could also be unlocked later.

Since you have the dual end caps on the 7000 . . . you may have the spool too tight. You just need some play and they are not to control the spool speed. The centrifugal brakes are to control the spool speed.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got both also. I've got some 7000s with the bushings, and two with bearings. One with abec 5s and one with rockets. I've just upgraded my 6500 with the ceramic rocket bearings yesterday and am waiting to try them out.

I've noticed that the bushing reels seem to throw as far as the bearing reels if they've been well broke in. I've got two identical 7000s with bushings, one older and well worn in, and the other brand new. The older one will throw as far as my Pro Rocket.

I took the new one out the other day and it took an hour of constant throwing to get it to hit close to the other one and the rocket. The advantage of the bearings is that I don't have to put as much effort into it. The dissadvantage of the bearings is that they tend to slow up in cold weather, and the bushing reels don't.

I tend to use my 6500s when there's not alot of distance to throw, and my 7000s for my long distance casting with the longer surf rods.

Just take the two blocks out like the guys said, loosen up the left side knob to were the weight will almost stop when it drops to the ground, and cast the hell out of it to get it broke in.