Casting big weights (10-12oz)

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kscathunter, Sep 17, 2007.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i know their are some of you out their that are flinging some lead. whats the trick i tried to get my bait out their last night but it didnt work, my thumb sliped causing a big backlash snapping my line at the reel. 5oz i can fling but twice that is trickey. my friend that was with me was getting some distance but he was using a 10' ugly stik so he didnt have to try real hard. any help?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It's going to be more of a lob than anything. Don't expect to get too much distance when using that much weight.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    A long pole rated for that much weight is also a big plus. Shucks, maybe you could just chunk the weight like a baseball. LOL

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    A long, heavy rod as well as a big reel with a lot of line capacity makes casting big weights a lot easier. I have a 10' nite stick with a tidewater 30L casting reel on it. I use weights up to 10 oz. and get great distance on my casts. It's just easier to use big weights with a setup like this and it takes less effort to get farther casts. The only other thing I can think of is to tighten the resistance on your spool all the way up if you are using a casting reel and it might help reduce some of the backlash.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i went out in the back yard today and figured out how to hold it. my problem was keeping the spool from turning while the rods loading up. i moved my thumb from the center of the spool to the side and wedged it in the corner and now i can hold it and wing it as far as i can.:cool2:

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Are you bank fishing? If I'm using 10-16 oz of weight, I'm usually in enough current that I give it the ol' lob like DougC said and then let the current do the work for me in getting it out where I want it. Sounds like you already got it handled, though. Good Luck!

Branden

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea im stuck on the bank. so if i wanna fish out in the middle i gotta have enough weight to keep it from washing downstream. i think i got it all worked out now so i can get it out there and keep it there.:big_smile: id guess i was getting around 65yrds with about 12oz

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man you guys are fishing some heavy current or something. I use nothing over 5 oz. weights and prob 6 oz bait, but wow 10 to 16 oz weights they must cost a arm and leg. I guess the current I fish isn't that bad. Where are ya fishing?

9. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Might sound a little sissy but I use a thin glove on my hand when casting big weights as it saves burned thumbs.
    Jake

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brothers and Sisters;
    All of you have some great ideas on casting the heavier weights so I don't know if my experience is going to help or not but I'll try.
    Remember that I am using Ocean Sized Spinning Reels and not Baitcasters so this MIGHT make a difference, I don't know.
    I started out with a Shakespeare 8' heavy duty rod and one ounce of weight. I practiced overhand, that is straight from over my back shoulder to straight forward. Then I tried the same weight from about a 45 degree angle and from there what I would describe as a "Baseball Bat" delivery. I found with the baseball bat delivery that I had to turn farther AWAY from the "plate" to get the bait to go straight out than I would if I was actually using a baseball bat to hit a ball.
    I worked up in weight until I got to 16 oz and, although the rod is not rated for this much weight, it handled it well!
    I tried all of the above techniques with a 10', 12', and 15' rod but kept the weights to 12 ounces until I perfect my technique!
    I found a couple things that helped me out.
    1. When using the heavier weights I found that the "Baseball Bat" technique worked best for me. This may be a personal thing as I am sure others will find the 45 degree and overhead will work better for them.
    2. I found, for me, that always using BOTH HANDS helped tremendously! In fact, using both hands will keep you from really messing a wrist/elbow, arm, up with a bad strain or worse!
    3. Practicing with the lighter weights FIRST and working up by either 1/2 oz or 1 oz at a time instead of going from say 3 oz straight up to 12 oz helped my "learning curve" a lot not to mention getting the muscles and tendons of the wrist, elbow, and arms, built up and used to the heavier weights.
    Someone mentioned using a glove with a Baitcaster and if I was to use a Baitcaster with an ounce or more of weight I would also use a Glove!!! I remember all too well the blistered thumbs from childhood when using my step-grandfather's rods!!! :-(
    Also, for those of you using spinning rods, try putting the line on top of the rod and holding it down with a thumb {gloved for heavier weights} or with a "half wrap" counter-clockwise on the top gloved thumb. I do NOT recommend using this technique without a glove and if using the new braided lines I would even add some "coaches" tape on that line thumb!! Coaches tape is that plain white tape you get in a 2" wide roll in the sporting goods areas of most stores or at the local drugstore.
    I hope this helps someone out. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, just about everything I've tried is already mentioned by someone so maybe this will help the spinning rod/reel folks out some.
    Whatever technique works for Ya'All is the one to use!
    Best Wishes to ALL on catching a Trophy Sized {60#+} "Kat" every time they go out! :wink:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA

Curious to know what conditions you are fishing to need that much weight????

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    a big river were 5oz usually gets pushed back twards the bank maybe stoping briefly a time or two and a small river that gets big with a good rain when its up you might get a 6oz to stay put long enough for a fish to find it if the bait is small enough and the bite is good but i wouldnt count on it.

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, The average "sinker" that we use on the "Mississippi" is 8oz! There are ALOT of times I use 16oz sinkers. When I fished the Cumberland last winter I used 3oz most of the time there, B I G difference in the ATTITUDES of those 2 rivers!!!!!!:crazy:

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hmmm I like a rod in the 8ft. range thats pretty heavy duty. Hate feeling the weight at the end bending the rod.

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Geez why dont you just hook a boat anchor to your line?Ive fished lakes and rivers and have never had a need for anything that heavy.What do you use to cast it a tree trunk and rope?lol
    But i guess if you need it and have the gear to use it go for it.

16. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If you've never fished on the Missouri or lower Mississippi, you wouldn't know.

17. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother's and Sister's;
    Without meaning to offend anyone, I must agree with Brother Chapman, the Mississippi is a whole different "Lady" when it comes to fishing! She can be as nice as a "young pretty lady" one day and as mean as an "Old Witch with PMS and a cheating husband" the next!
    If you have never fished on her a couple of times you might wait on a decision about tackle until you have done so. Just a friendly suggestion for ALL of the Brother's and Sister's that have yet to fish for Big Blue's on her. :wink:
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Take it easy there fellas i was just joking around,i could care less if you used a ten pound weight,get a sense of humor:roll_eyes:

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i wouldn't try casting that much weight without a shockleader and a glove. safety first.

20. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

This is off the subject, but thats a heck off a fish in your avatar..What Lake/River did he come from.