Casting big bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, Jul 23, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone have any pointers on casting big bait? I have a 7000C3 set up with 25lb mono, 9ft Glowstick and I generally use 2oz. egg sinkers - I probably need bigger. I can cast this rig about 60 yards with small cut bait, but when I put on a hand sized live bluegill, I can't throw it half that distance. I fish off of the back of my pontoon that is pulled ashore, so where I'm casting from is actually 20 ft off shore. I can't really get a bigger rod because it is just to cumbersome on the boat. Would heavier sinkers help? Say 3-5 oz?

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    With a rod that size upping the sinker weight will help a little. If you want to get some added casting distance, you may want to think about going down to 20lb mono or something like 30lb braid. The reduced diameter will make a TON of difference when casting. I remember when I stepped down to 17 from 30 on my surf rods I could cast a mile without even trying. And hand sized bluegills aren't the easiest thing in the world to cast either, not very aerodynamic :wink:

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well using a super line with a thinner diameter is about all you can do to increase the casting distance with your current set up. What you really need is to get a rod rated to cast heavier weights. Combine a rod rated for heavier weights and a super line you will be able to increase your distance but even with that as you increase your bait/sinker combo weight it gets increasingly difficult to get distance. You cant put as much power into a cast with live bait unless you want to fling your bait off the hook over and over.

Experimenting is the only way to figure out how much weight you can throw and you will either have to adjust your bait size or your sinker size to get it where you want without moving your boat.

Good Luck!

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    i have learned that sometimes you cannot cast your bait, you may have to place the bait then motor away, if the bait is that big.

5. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I read somewhere where there are guys that use a radio controlled toy boat to take their bait out. Anyone tried this?

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    yes but they are pricey and u will need more than 1 battery and the batteries cost 35.00 a piece.it better to build your own boat and use a trolling motor and lawnmower battery.cost a lot less.

7. Reckinball

Reckinball New Member

State:
    NC
    now that is an interesting tactic

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have watched guys cast large bait by actually puting the bait in the water on the back swing, allowing the increased resistance load up the rod and work like a slingshot. I have only tried it once though, ended up throwing my bait off, and putting a birds nest big enough for Big Bird to live in!:roll_eyes::embarassed::eek:oooh:

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    david, if you are casting a bait that is heavier than your rod can handle, it won't go very far. The more out of balance the situation is, the worse your results will be.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    hrmm, if your cast big LIVE bait, you probably don't cast it real far.. The Less stress the better.. Also, if your fishing at nite, you may not need to cast a country mile..

11. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Don't sound like you can load your rod properly on that boat. With a big bait you have to get it swinging backwards to do that and then forward. kinda like fly fishing at least the way I've seen them fish. Surf fishermen on the Texas coast use kayaks to get their big baits way out ther for sharks but who wants something that big on their boat.

12. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    I like to get a good pendulum action with the bait as the pole is behind me and then cast as the bait is swinging away from me, continuing the smooth motion up and then cast. This seems to cut down on the force on the bait, helping it not fly off as easily. Good luck!

13. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have the same reel as you with a heavy action ugly stick and I put 17 lb cajun red cast on to it with a little more weight and now im casting alot farther. If that still doesnt help I think its easier to cast with a larger arc for more distance, just like shooting a basketball

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Like Ohio stated above: A Rod with the proper "LURE WEIGHT" rating will help!!'

:wink:

15. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would have to agree with Tim, the further you try to launch that live bait the greater chance you'll be fishing with dead bait. You also run the risk of tearing your bait from the hook with all the force thats going to be necessary to cast it out that far. You might be better off placing your baits then motoring over to the bank. I also read somewhere about a guy who kept a small canoe/kayak with his boat. He would bait up and place his rods in the holders, put them in freespool, then jump in the small boat and paddle his baits out to where he wanted them then paddle back. No casting necessary.

16. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    To me it seems easier to cast larger baits if the sinker is close to the bait. Longer the leaders the harder it is for me to cast heavier baits.

17. WVRiverRat

WVRiverRat New Member

State:
    WV
    The bigger the bait the harder to cast.