Casting at night= birdnest? with my baitcaster

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LadyValea1, Oct 31, 2006.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Ok, I've been using the Abu 6500 c3 without any problems during the day for bank fishing...but I've noticed at night, I get a lot of minor birdnest ..this is my question is it because I can't see how far I've cast? my thumb is not educated for night fishing?
    probably need more practice? :embarassed:

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    this was my problem. yours might be different. Good post though anyways

3. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    That is what happens when I cast into the Abyss!!!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

During the day you can see your line hit the water and stop the reel without thinking about it but at night you can not see it but you hear it. I like to feather my thumb, keep light pressure on the spool, until I hear it hit the water and then stop the spool and feed line out by hand. It does shorten your cast a little but can help prevent backlash. I am sure there are other ways to prevent them, this is my method.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Tina, try tightening your brake a little that should cure your problem.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Generally, I only bank fish at night when on a river float trip for catfish. I try to get to where I'm fishing before it gets too dark. I check for where I want to cast, set my cast control break for my weight, plus a bit more to keep down overruns. I also keep my thumb closer to the spool, feathering the cast more. Sometimes, I still get a professional birdsnest.

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would agree with Benji...when you cast it can be automatic, but at night you can not see your bait hit the water so you must rely on your hearing more. It does help to tighten up a click or two and not cast as far.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    My fishing partner calls it a Bill Dance Over Cast:lol: .

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That works for me. Dance is ok, doesn't kiss the fish much and does make a mistake once in a while.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I also agree with Benji .
    Sometimes I cant hear bait hit water so I listen to sound of reel.
    When it starts slowing down from cast, I use more thumb pressure. That helps me but not always.
    Heck I back lash a little most times anyway. LOL. :roll_eyes:

11. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I doubt there is a baitcast user here, that can consistently cast as far at night, without a birdsnest, as they do in the daytime. You have gotten a lot of good tips, from the others.
    The thing about listening for your bait to hit the water is, (a) sometimes you don't hear it (b) sound doesn't travel as fast as light. The point being, if you've made a really long cast it does take just a split second for that sound to get back to your ears. And in the daytime you not only see it "splashdown", you also can normally follow it as it archs towards the water and then you anticapate it.

If you want to practice some of these things that have been suggested, try casting in the daytime, with your eyes closed. I know that may sound a little crazy, but then we are catfisher's and that kind of comes with the territory.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Val, just keep casting during the day and use your thumb lightly on the spool, you will notice that the line starts to loosen under your thumb as the spool keeps going faster than the bait at the end of the cast. Then after dark when you feel this loosening effect you know the bait is about to hit the water and you can stop the spool. Even when you are watching your cast in the daytime if you have your thumb on the spool you can feel the birdsnest starting to form when the line loosens up too fast and you can stop the spool and prevent the nest. You have to learn to use your thumb on the spool, lightly. It will eliminate most backlashes.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with everybody else, it's all in keeping your thumb on the spool and brake tension. If the brake is set right, you can just let your thumb ride lightly on the spool and shouldn't have any problems. I usually have my headlight on and watch the cast going out so I have an idea where it's headed and how far to give me an idea when to start slowing it down. Also, I use braided line on my 6600CBs and I think it's a little more forgiving than mono with a lot of memory when it comes to backlashes. Just my personal feel, but I know I typically tangle my 7000 with 40lb mono a LOT more than the smaller reels with PowerPro. Also, consistent weight helps a lot. Don't know if your moving around a lot or not, but I almost always forget to adjust brake tension when I go from a slack spot using 3 or 4 oz of lead to a main channel spot where I'm using 10-16oz of lead and 'nest one up good on the first cast with new weight.

14. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Casting at night is as easy as daytime for me, with by 6500s. You need to set your reel break the little knob to where your line will freefall with just a little tention on it. I use the one second count when its pich dark and then put my thoumb on the spool. you need to play with your break knob to get it set for the maxium cast.but once you have it to your liking, it gets much easier. I always check my line drop at the start of each fishing trip, and always do it with my reel loaded with weight and bait i'll use for that night.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Just go out doing the day and cast with your eyes closed and see if it happens then :big_smile: