Casting aid

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nhra22, Jan 31, 2006.

1. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

I saw Breakaway has a devide for spinning reels that mounts to the rod, and holds the string for you instead of using your finger. They are selling them for $19. Any of you using these? They sound pretty good. I still can't get used to surf casting with a 12ft rod and a spinning reel. I guess I don't let the go at the right time and the line always pops my finger, and I lose distance with the cast. This might help alot.

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I don't use a spinning rod in the surf, but I have heard a ton of good things about the "canon" It'll save a finger for sure for anyone trying to cast more than a couple of ounces long distances.
    /Scott

3. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    nhra22

Ive never used such a device for surf casting. On my 12-fter, I usually use two fingers with anything over 4 ounces. I've thrown 8 ounce sinker with 12" whiting that way.

4. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    yes i use the cannon when river fishing from bank . with heavy weights they are a necessity i feel i have seen some bad cuts, especially with braided line unles your drag is set really heavy it will slip when loading up the rod . the only problem i have is they are kinda in the way i've tried small hose clamps and black tape to secure them and i'm not really happy either way. be sure and use shock line with these as you can really load up your pole.but it reallt hepls discance with 3 oz and up weight. and i feel a necessity with 5 and above.