Casting a penn

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cathouse, Jul 12, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Funny thing , got bold and finally did a complete take down of a reel and cleaned all the parts indivisually . Lubed and greased by the book or the BOC per recommendations , one word wow it's a whole new animal now . My volunteer was my penn 9 (that i love dearly ) casted the easiest and furthest for me by far with a quick lube and exterior cleaning as it was purchased as a parts reel of ebay due to excessive exterior dirt and very minor brassing underneath it all , well lets just say clean them reels people it's worth learning how to do and you will be amazed how easy it is to do just like any other job use the right tools and follow instructions dont be intimitaded . I followed the penn 9 take down here in our member library , i don't remeber off hand who supplied it but man that was my saving grace (take a bow) . Any way that thing will zing lead like you would not believe , now i know why you dont thumb the line . Caution you will get burned literally .

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    In 1999 I was in Mobile Al. and stopped at a pawn shop to see if they had any fishing gear that I might want and found a heavy rod with a 309 Penn on it and I bought it cheap for $35.00.While still in Mobile I thought I would take the 309 down and give it a good cleaning.I took it apart and then I had to hit the road so I just boxed it up and thought I would put it togather when I get home.I didn't have a computer then and no instructions or parts list and it took me 5 tries in as many weeks to get it back togather and working right.I think it was funny because since 1969 I have made a living working on every thing from airplanes to D8 Cats and I always said if it broke I can fix it and it sure hurt my pride when it took me more than one try to put that reel back togather.

3. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    badkarma have you since taken down and cleaned a old reel after testing it out dirty first ? I will now takedown and clean all of my penns and replace parts as needed the differance is unreal , as for those of you that think a abu will out cast a penn by any noticeable margin clean those old penns and try again i own both . I have an old 6000c that is a zinger but that old 9 is as good if not better . I think i will respool it with the same line as the penn and head for the football field and i'll get back wth results .

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Cleaned my old penn 209 and it would not work right afterwards. I finally downloaded a schematic which showed the dog lever and spring, but not how to install it. Most of my hair turned white before I got a spring made and installed. Afterwards I found Peewee's post on the reel. If ever good advise was given to a new reel fiddler arounder it was his to take it apart inside a large baggie to keep the parts in sight. Thanks Peewee. Luck

5. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Yes I have many times.The frist was an old 209 that I bought in 1972 that had never been cleaned and had been oiled only a time or two even after all them years of hard use in fresh and saltwater.(Penn sure makes a tough reel) I didn't wait 3 days before putting it back togather hehe so I had no problems with it.Rule #365 always make sure you have time to finish putting it back togather before you take a reel apart.