casting a penn gto

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jun 7, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have a penn gto i like it but, its almost impossible to cast it 50 yards, any advice on casting it out there without backlash, its no problem for flatheads but for blues its hard to use any advice

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Only advice i can offer is just keep practicing and dont give up! I know they can be a pain in the butt!! I think i am as good at removing a birds nest as i am at casting!!!!:eek:oooh:

3. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    What type and weight line are you casting? Once you start getting over 30# mono, it can get ugly.

Two tips for ya :
    1. only fill the spool about 3/4 full, that will help kep the spool speed more manageable.
    2. Adjust your spool tension knob(s) so that when you hit the release the weight and bait will drop to the ground and the spool stops when they touch the ground.
    3. (I can't count!) since you now have a little more exposed spool (#1), try keeping the side of your thumb gentley resting on the exsposed spool. It will give you better control during the cast.

:cool2:

Hop this helps!

Scott

4. mudcat55

mudcat55 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah what he said with one exception if you use a little longer rod with a little bit of whip in the tip it should help you out on your distance the peerless reels are a little better for distance than the gto's

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Adjusting your spool tension knob makes a world of difference . Even on my abu's if you have the spool tention to loose it will backlash on a distance cast due to the weight of the sinker taking off on the whip of the rod and slowing down in the air . I usually adjust it to the point where it falls to the ground slow then just a hair more . That seems to let me cast a country mile .

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The best advice I could give you would be to get a reel that was intended for casting. The GTO's, while great reels, were not intended as a casting type reel. They are "boat reels". Even if you get the most out of that reel you won't get the distance you would from a reel that has the bait casting fisherman in mind.

Having said that.....

Check out your rod's designated casting weights and line recommendation. Are you casting in that range? Now, if the rod say's it's rated up to 2oz (just an example) and your casting 2oz PLUS your terminal tackle, PLUS your bait.. you may be over loading the rod.

How much line do you have on the reel? Is it full? That's a lot of line and it has weight... the heavier your spool the more kinetic energy it holds and this will cause back lashes, as the spool doesn't slow down as fast as your bait does.

Try your reel with barely 100yds of line and see if it isn't easier to cast and control. If so, then you probably have too heavy a spool to cast effectively, and reducing the line will help. If it still doesn't cast for squat, it is still probably back to the fact that it isn't intended to do so in the first place...

The end spool tension may help keep the birds away but on a reel this big, it will likely start cutting into your distance before it aids in your casting.

An HONEST 50 yds is a decent cast with a big boat reel and an average fishing pole (under 9'). One thing is sure, you'll have to play with all the variables, and practice, practice and practice some more to get the most of that reel.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Slikk I have a 320 on a 7ft tiger spooled with 40lb berkley abraision resistant ya get it adjusted right you can sling it fer a long shot in the wind keep practcing.......very seldome do I lash it up and if I do it isnt too bad less I stick my dang club thumb in the string then its ugly(LOL)

8. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    adjust the tension use a larger weight and use it on a longer rod so you can have more flex in the rod that allows you to cast much further i know i have never had a problem casting any level wind penn a decent distance

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i was doing good with it until i put cajun read on it, but i can cast 25 yards out, and thats fine, with me, but wen i had cheap white shakesper30on it with a 3 oz weght i was slinging it about 40 yards, but its no big deal, its a flathead rod so i dont need to cast that far,

10. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It's a hard reel to cast. Small diameter line will just make it worse. Don't fall for the mine casts just fine thing. Some people are just happy with what the reel will provide.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no complaints on it yet, other than cajun red was a bad choice for this reel, its to wirey,

12. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i would use berkley big game line bout 30# and large sinker cat it side arm that is how i learned how to use a baitcaster by casting side arm

13. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I also have a Penn 320 gti. Your right about casting, it's tough. I put mine on a 12' surf rod spooled with 40# big game and use at least a 4oz sinker or larger, now I can cast it 100 yds but you will occasionally get a nest if you don't keep your thumb lightly on the spool. Just lots of practice and you will get a feel for it.

14. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    What the other guys said and just keep practicing.I was the same way I even threw a couple of good penn 309's inthe lake when I first started.