Casting a bait caster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfishing is fun, Jan 11, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i have a penn 209 that i have been working on casting for a while, and i have one question, when i cast overhanded i cant see the weight im using, so it hits with no spool tention, so i get a small backlash, what should i do to keep an eye on the line so i can slow the spool for impact,

Thanks for any help
    Marshall

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    adjust your drag so that whatever weight you're using will slowly pull line off your reel when you're holding your rod streight out in front of you then cast it and see if that doesn't help. I adjust my drag every time I change weight or the size of bait I'm using, I hope this helps you out.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Adjust it before you throw it Marshall for what weight your useing. At night your not going to see any thing any way. Before long your not even going to look.....

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    An educated thumb along with practice will make a good caster.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Ain't that the truth, especially with the 209. When I taught myself to use a baitcaster, I found the sidearm cast easiest to use. But, as I went along, without thinking, moved to the overhand. Recently, I bought two 209's. I've had to work on using that thumb. The cast control is not as good as on an Abu.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Jim Hudson (gator) sayd thats because the knob no the 9m 209 309 is a bearing tention knob not a cast break, and overtighting will cause premature berring falure.

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Practice, Practice, Practice. That is the only true way to learn.

Wheelmobile07

8. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I use my thumb, and i usually use a side arm cast because overhead casting have a higher arc that means harder impact on the water, bigger spash, more noise, less fish.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Let your thumb ride on the spool. Start out by putting a lot of pressure on the spool with your thumb. Then as you get use to it lighten it up. Either that maybe your holding the reel upside down I don't know why you can't see it. Or maybe not. It's like all good things Sometimes it's better to touch and feel then to stare at dreaming.

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    First of all adjust the tension adjustor to slightly let line come off when you hold the pole out in front in free spool and let off the thumb to let the line go down.... for some folks, adjust it so it will not overrun when the weight or lure touches the ground.... I think that what adds to this is if you rotate the pole in your hand so that the spool is in a vertical position as you are casting, and one more thing some..... advocate not thumbing the line but thumb the spool as the line diameter is changing. You must educate the thumb.

bayrunner ray

11. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    not sure about a penn i have abu 6500. My prob was i was trying to leave the spool too tight. I would sling the crap out of it to get it to go anywhere and it would backlash every time in the air. The easiest way for me is to loosen the spool up all the way and just sling it with a full motion and follow the sinker with the tip of the rod. Then all you have to do is thumb the spool before the weight hits the water and no backlash. maybe try loosen it up so it will go. keep in mind with it loose if you dont stop it before it hits water your gonna be busy for the next hour getting out that bird nest

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Just tie on a weight and practice casting, and learn how to tumb the spool to stop it from overrunning and getting a backlash.