castaic lake night fishing for catfish

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dhines, Jul 2, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    as i will be in the LA area this weekend, i am strongly considering hitting up castaic lake for some night catfishing. anyone ever done this? i am planning on using chicken livers and anchioves.

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good luck at Castiac..... Heard there are some nice channels in that lake:wink:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Doug... haven't done Castaic lake for some time... don't like the boat traffic and "line-up" in the mornings.... The upper lake closes at night, and the ramp is closed I believe....

I have fished up the road at Pryramid.... though... not sure where the road closes at night.. but I think that you can park your car at the gate and walk down to the "inlet area"... have use mackerel and chovies there on a quick "stop over" on the way out of town in the early am

Its a drive up from Castaic... Hey... could try the lower castaic lagoon...again.. not sure of local regs there....

Let us know how it goes...

4. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    as it was a full moon, i didn't have much expectations . . . we made the extra trip up to quail lake. the more i looked into it, the more quail lake seemed like my style (less pressure, no boats, no swimming, open 24 hours). limited to one catfish . . . about a 2.5lber. got there late, fished from 10pm through 2am (heard the bite started shutting down around 8pm). i guess in the cooler lakes the bite doesn't stay as active as some of the canals and rivers in the southeastern part of the state?

i was shocked when i looked at the fish, had tiny little leeches below its mouth. never have seen that on any of the cats i have pulled out of the canals. i am guessing that is more of a lake thing, can anyone confirm?

i think that lake has potential, will need to try a few different spots before i come to a clear conclusion about this lake. but, i will say that it is the first fishing experience (in the LA area) that i have enjoyed. what a difference it can make to not have a bunch of loud boats around.

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Glad to see ya got out and checked it out Doug...As I mentioned before, its a good place to "stop off" on the way north... leaches? yuk..

6. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    yep, it was pretty disgusting. i actually felt sorry for the fish.

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    There are leeches in almost all the water around So. Ca. they usually drop off the fish while the fight is going on, my guess is they don't like the taste of adrenalin.
    Next time you go to quail you might want to try to get around by the inlet.
    You can either walk from the parking area or park up the hill at the back side of the lake (requires driving a dirt road) and hike down to the lake.

8. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    thanks for the tip. had no idea about most of the fish having leeches . . .

btw, was checking it out on google earth, and cant tell how to get onto the dirt roads. are they fenced off at 138? or, do you take the cement factory road and then go off to the dirt road?

many thanks in advance.

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Yep that's the way you do it. then you park out side the fence at the end of the dirt road and walk down the hill from above the canal. There is a pass through in the fence and a good trail but it's a bit of a hill coming back up, still a lot closer than walking the 2 miles from the parking lot.

10. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    outstanding, thanks for the tip.