Cast netting

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quick question for you all. My buddy and I are trying to get our planned outtings this year a little more efficient. I LIKE TO FISH FOR BLUE GILLS but it tends to waste valuable time when hunting for flatheads. Is cast netting legal in Az? What about Ca?

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    might see if you can use a fish trap for them we do that here in ponds for perch and bullheads put dog food or whatever in them a few days before you know your going fishing then when you go just take the ones you want out of the trap and release the rest . the small traps are pretty cheap

3. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    here in Ga,it is legal in privet ponds only,

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I actually saw those at Walmart once (is there anything they dont have:smile2::roll_eyes:). I wondered how well they actually worked....

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    o hell they work great and if you want larger fish just open up the throats more. give them a couple days in the water and you will have all you need for a days fishing. also if you have a marina where you lanch your boat you may ask if you could put one around there docks blue gills love docks.
    (catfish earl ) here on the boc makes them you might send him a message. i truely hope you can use them out there its a big time saver for sure.

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    This is from the 2007-2008 AZ Game & Fish regs:

Capturing Live Bait (includes legal baitfish and crayfish
    only)
    • Live bait may be taken by minnow trap, dip net, cast net, pole and
    line, handline, crayfish net or seine.
    • Cast nets shall not exceed a 4-foot radius (or an 8-foot diameter).
    • Seine nets shall not exceed 10 feet in length and 4 feet in width.
    • Landing nets or dip nets may be used for the capture of baitfish or
    crayfish or only to land a legally hooked fish.
    • Any unattended traps or devices used to catch or hold aquatic wildlife
    or fish must have attached water resistant identification legibly
    bearing the name, address, and fishing license number of the person
    using the device.
    • All aquatic wildlife taken incidentally while capturing live bait with nets
    or traps must be returned immediately and unharmed to the water
    after being caught.
    • All legal baitfish and crayfish caught must be for personal use only
    and are not to be sold or used for commercial purposes.
    • Live baitfish may be used only in areas approved for certain species​

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Cmon bro~ catching gills is half the fun...:roll_eyes:

I am going to try chumming for them with canned dog food to see if this makes it easier. But I love gill fishing...

Take care~ A

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Gotta say, I love getting my ultra light out and hooking hand sized and up- It's a ball when they're biting!

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree with you 100%...thing is though, once it gets out here the gills disappear and it gets hard as heck to catch enough of 'em to have a decent lot of live bait on the nights we fish.

10. sworntotheblack

sworntotheblack New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have a few ponds near my house....one pond was my favorite cat fishing pond that was in town turns out they drained it took out all the bass and catfish and filled it with tilapia, i threw out my cast net and had over 500 fish in the net on 1 good throw, all tilapia ranging from a half dollar size to about a 1/2 lb.....:big_smile: it was insane we didnt know what to do litteraly so we took about 100 of em and headed off.

Another pond i go to i catch shad and bluegill about 40 shad per throw on a good day and if i throw shallow i can get about a dozen or so blue gill, I use them mostly for bass but last year i was using my big cat rod and a blue gill off of a reef near the marina at apache and caught me a 20# + flattie. Anyways if you guys live in mesa or near i can help you out with directions or i dont mind throwing the net for anyone that has a decent bait tank to hold em in, its hard to find people to fish with out here, i've only got one buddy and we try to get out at least once a week anyways..... i can get bait year round and in ridiculous amounts, if you want some/need some advice let me know....BILLY

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Looks like you got all your answers already but andy said it man catching gills is half the fun!:big_smile:

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks Billy. Im down in Yuma so its a pretty good drive. I sure wish I had as much luck with getting bait though! Im going to try building a 'gill trap like the one outlined in the library. Sounds like a pretty good project.

By the way...WELCOME to the BOC!!!:wink:

13. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Dameon,

As the others mentioned, it is legal in Arizona to use a cast net. I do not know about the California regs, but the Colorado River is safe to catch baitfish with a cast net. I used a cast net almost all the time in Georgia to catch shad, but will occasionally pull it out here if the gills are non responsive to a ulta-light.

I would have to agree with Andy that catching the bait can sometimes be rather exciting. Getting a really large gill on an ultra-light pole can be a lot of fun. When fishing for tilapia, I have caught some decent sized bullheads and channels too!! It can really help to brighten up the day.

Ryan