Cast netting from a boat

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by ec43146, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do pretty good throwing from the shore, what changes if any are there when throwing from a boat? :confused2:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Make sure I you have a clear area around you. I almost lost a rod and did ruin a net on the anchor I didn't move befode throwing the net. also don't double wrap the rope around your wrist, if the net hangs on the bottom you want to be able to get loose if you are in any current or the boat is moving with the wind.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Also be careful of your footing ,an don,t fall out of the boat :wink::smile2:
    also if wife is driving an u r standing on the bow with the net DON'T MAKE HER MAD ,they try an say it was a mistake ;when they go to reverse instead of forward; like u thought she was going to do:wink:

4. hawkerhino

hawkerhino New Member

State:
    KY
    true, but real funny to watch from across the cove..... :smile2:

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I disagree with the post about double wrapping the rope around your hand.

If the net gets tangled and the boat is moving in current and you lost your balance for instance....no need in the net pulling you overboard because you can't let go of it. Unlikely scenario I know, but it's those 'unexpected' things that can get you.

The only thing I can think of different about a boat is that you don't have to throw the net so hard. Just an easy toss into the water making sure it opens up because you can get right on top of the bait, plus you can get the deeper bait if they aren't shallow.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    In my opinion it is 2 different styles entirely:tounge_out: The bank is easy..The boat is more difficult there are "factors" that can and will make it harder like.................Kerr WIND & Ice in the winter accumulating on the deck of an aluminum boat!!!:tounge_out::wink::eek:oooh: and various nick-nacs on the boat seats rod-holders graphs etc..gotta keep your balance at all costs feet spread wide & watch the rope it likes to catch on everything!!! It takes a while to get it down to an art....especially if ya throw an 8fter:tounge_out:

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    big sam, what you think about throwing a 10' out of a little flat bottom boat lol? im going to give it a try soon, how close can u usually get on a good pod of shad before they will scatter? and if i throw onto a good pod of 200 or so shad about 2 foot deep, how deep should i let my net sink before pulling it in?

8. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That will definately be a challenge a 10fter out of a flat bottom:wink::tounge_out: Johnny (777) is the 10 fter expert of our group ( he is the only one that would spend the $$$ to get it):tounge_out: He wraps and folds and other things but he is pretty good with it....in the winter we dont want to fool around & get wet & trow 100 times with a small net so we use 8 & 10 ft nets gets the job done quick....the depth depends on what our graph shows the shad to be at..if there at 20 ft we go 25....if there 25 we go 30 etc.. they dont scatter quick in the winter at all..summer well it's hard to say really i was letting my 8fter go down 18-20ft last time out cause they were 15 on the graph..the heavier the net the faster it pushes down on the bait....I would hate to pull in 200shad all at once...that could be classified as WORK:eek:oooh::smile2:

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I said Don't double wrap. I found out the hard way.

10. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I forgot most folks dont know how long there rope is on the throw net....measure that dude so ya know how deep you can go:tounge_out: if you use a graph to locate shad you must know your rope length..or it helps anyway:smile2:

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Oops! You sure did! I must have been cross-eyed when I read that post.

Oh yeah.......if you are in OKLAHOMA, don't throw up-wind, cause it's gonna blow back on top of you. If you throw down-wind you better hang on cause you might go para-sailing when that goddawg wicked OKIE wind gets it!:smile2:

12. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I double looped mine and went swimming in 50* water. Luckly we were close to the ramp and I had dry clothes in the truck.

13. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do throw an eight footer, guess it will just take a while to get used to it.:confused2:

14. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Oh yeah.......if you are in OKLAHOMA, don't throw up-wind, cause it's gonna blow back on top of you. If you throw down-wind you better hang on cause you might go para-sailing when that goddawg wicked OKIE wind gets it!:smile2:[/QUOTE]

You have that right:smile2: Was on Ft Gibson and had to get in coves out of the wind to throw. If you were out in the wind you would either run over your net or start pulling it before it sank:eek:oooh:

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it is a lot easier to throw from a boat. You don't have to worry about trees and bushes in the way and you don't get snagged as often. If you do snag up you can get right over the snag and pull it out more often than not. Not only that but you can actually go to where the shad are!