Cast netting for shad

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by foothills, Dec 1, 2006.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when cast netting for shad do y'all wiat until you see a bait ball under the boat on the depth finder or do you get back in the coves and throw the net in shallow water in radom places next to the bank? also do you let the net sink to the bottom in shallow areas? appreciate any advice.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    In the colder weather they will pull out of the creeks but they will go back up into the creeks after the sun has warmed the water all day.So the evening is the easiest time to catch em because they are a little shallower and they cant run out from under the net as easy.If its calm I try to wait until I see riples but if its not I'll just start throwing.I let the net go all the way to the bottom in shallow water.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i hit the marina's the water there is usually warmer , shad eat plankton and the sort that grows on docks . i throw as close to the docks as i can the shad feed there and use it for cover .

when you throw the net pull up the slack rope and with a loose grip let the weight of the net pull the rope from your hand , you can feel the shad bump the net when you do give the main line a good jerk and it will close faster catching the shad before they out swim the net .
    i have also caught skip jacks with this tecnique .
    i usualy dont use the fishfinder for getting shad but i do use it for depth my cast net has a 20 ft main line and i like for it to reach the bottom but youve got to know the area well or you run the chance of snagging it . good luck

4. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    1st of all and very important Welcome to the BOC. You can do it either way but not actually random, you want to see the fish and know where there at whether its wish a fish finder or by sight. If its by fish finder dont throw if there more than 10ft deep, your probably waisting your time. But if you can get em about 8 or shallower your chances increase. I prefer going after what I can see though. Good luck

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    so y'all just creep along real slow with the trollin motor until you see surface activity and then throw the net? or do you just drift around and wait for the bait to surface?

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont recomend runing the troller while throwing , if the net gets near it wow what a mess iv had it happen . i get my shad in the creeks and marinas like i said and use my cast net to pull me around you can sight the fish or use the fish finder i just use the knowledge i have and throw more granted i have thrown 2 dozen times to get 6 shad and thrown once to get 2 dozen shad , luck of the draw . i use a 10 ft diameter mono net its heavy with weights and sinks fast . i have taken shad from 1 ft to 19 ft deep depending on time and location . summer time you will find them in the shallows winter time cold water a little deeper , you can bait them in with chumming a spot over and over for a few days and they will hang out there more , theres recipes on here for chumming in the archives or you can go to your local bait shop and buy chum that will draw bait fish to the area you wish to get bait from .

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Remember Shad are quick little boogers.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have to second what Ka Boom said. I catch my shad from the shore. Aroung boat lauches, docks, rocky banks, and my favorite. I catch a lot of mine in a lake that has a road cutting right through the middle. There is a pipeline running under the road. I can usually catch all I need around the mouth of this pipe.

9. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't understand why people are so reluctant to throw a net in deep water.
    I find it much easier to catch shad if they are close to 20 feet deep. I idle around with the outboard until I run over a bunch of shad. Then I put it in reverse a few seconds to stop momentum and start going back to where I marked the shad on the depthfinder. Then I use the trolling motor to move around until I find them again. When I do, I move the boat so I can throw the net where the transducer is so I know I'm throwing on the shad. Last trip I was having problems catching shad shallow up in the river. I moved to deep water and filled my livewell and shad tank with 2 throws. I throw an 8 ft. net. The size helps a lot and the net isn't very hard to throw if you use the right technique and practice. Try throwing in deep water. You just need to come up with a net full of shad a time or two and you will quickly gain confidence in this way of catching shad. Hope this helps.

10. hailei

hailei New Member

State:
    AL
    look around the are u fishin, if u see some kind of pipe or water shootout at one spot all the time then u'll find them there most likely. i fish a river and we have a couple of metal pipes that shootout water 24/7 and alway get more than 30 on every cast so if u got them they will come

11. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have had some luck out in the deep water very late in the day.
    The shad will come up to the top usually and be feeding.

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Large net 8 footer is best for shad 10-20 feet down. I use my flasher for getting bait. The instant signal marks when bait are under the boat, unlike the readout on your LCG. Gulls, Blue heron and cormorants are a dead giveaway for bait location. Takes some practice but fresh bait is best. Don't get discouraged if you come up empty on your first few throws. I have had times where the 8th or 9th throw would net all the bait I need and more in one throw. Oh yea, don't buy an expensive net like the Super Pro or Calusa Cracker if you are not sure of what you are throwing at...most of the time you don't know. They get stuck on the bottom just like the cheap ones.