Cast nets

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Sundance, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Sundance

Sundance New Member

State:
    Ohio
    are the cast nets you see at wal mart any good?

i only found them at gander mountain but much more expensive.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Don

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    They are mono nets and should be fine.. But if your local regulations allow it. Go for a bigger net and more weight if you are targeting deeper water..

* Are you looking to throw at shad, or larger fish, like carp?

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It's a matter of perspective & what you want from them. I fish the Mississippi River only. To get bait, I have to throw my cast net in areas where I can usually not have to worry about them getting snagged. Thus, my net is a very heavy (which costs $$$ to make) and large, 5 ft diameter. If I am throwing in an area that is know to have snags, I switch to my Walmart special 3 ft diameter. They work, but not as well and the price makes it not such a heartbreaker to replace. If you are new to throwing a cast net, they will work just fine. From experience, buy the 3 ft one first and learn on it. Also, mono will serve you much better than nylon.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don, those wal mart nets work just fine.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They work fine for me. If you are fishin a lake or bigger river you can get bigger and better but for the most part cheeper is better. When you get one snagged you will know what I mean.:angry: I can go through 2 or 3 in a year so expensive ones for me are out of the question. Id reccommend soaking it in warm water with some fabric softener overnight before you use it. This will help it open up better. Also soak it in water until you use it again. They have the non-lead ceramic weights on some. I get the lead ones, that way when they snag you can atleast make some sinkers out of it.:big_smile: Gander Mt. is too pricey on most of their stuff. Everything can be had elsewhere online for way cheaper.By the way Welcome to the BOC!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have been through a dozen or so wal-mart nets,They are just the ticket if you throw where there are a few snags,cause they are a bit cheaper. I generally rip mine up within a few months of buying .

Be sure to check out the library on learning to cast one,JW [dreadnaught] has a great artical on throwing a net.

7. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    got one for fathers day 5ft radius, so far its worked great.its the first one ive owned or used i didnt soak it or anything special but i do hang it when not in use. check out youtube there tons of video on how to throw and several different methods. it paid for its self on the first trip.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also think they work fine. The only bad part about my 5' net is that it has 1/2 mesh. If you want threadfins or other small baits they will escape a 1/2 size mesh net. I learned with the 5' but now I use a 7' with 3/8 mesh.

-Jim-

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dang, I'm getting old. In my post above, I meant to say radius, not diameter. Geez, I feel silly sometimes.

LOL, I couldn't picture throwing a 3 ft diameter net.:wink: