Cast nets

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LBCatter, Nov 8, 2007.

1. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I own a small 4 foot net it works well for small shad in summer and for bluegills (shhh dont tell the wardens haha). I couldnt decided between an 8 or a 10. Will the 10 be that much harder to throw than the 8? I figured more radius more bait so Im gonna try the 10 foot net. Is this going to allow me to catch the larger shad in say 15 to 20 ft of water?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

For me it was harder, for awhile, to throw a bigger net. As for catching bait in deeper water I think you would need more weight on your net to sink it a little fasterand a longer line to hold on to. Bigger net should equal more bait if theres bait where your throwing the net. The shad I catch are 3-6 inches and at the deepest about 13 foot so I might be off about the weight. I am sure that some of these guys that fish deeper waters will give you better advice though.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I started out with a 4 ft net. And I got a lot of big Shad with it.So personally I can't see why you would need a big net such as a 10 ft except for covering a bigger radius. Just add more weight on your present net and you'll get deeper qiucker.
    Oh yeah I also caught Carp ,Ch Cats ,and a 1 -1/2 lb flathead with my net.Best of luck what ever you use and be careful out there.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i had a 4' net, using it to get to the deeper shad was tough, but do-able. I now have a 6' net that is heavier and it is good to shad around 10'. I am gonna get a 7' (biggest legal one in TX) 1/2" mesh extra weighted net this weekend at cabelas. i might even get a 5/8" net i will see when i get up there. The bigger mesh has less water resistance and lets the net fall faster, giving the shad less time to get away.

5. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    go with the 8'. pretty much anynet 6' an over will be thrown in an opposite manner than you throw the 4'. just do a google search and you should find some video's. another hting to remember is getting hung up with that big net it will be a lot harder to get out.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Remember not to throw where there is a lot of bait. I have the 5' Wally World net and when I get a true netful, I can hardly lift it over the spillway fence. I cannot immagine it with a net double the size. :crazy:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 5' diameter net, and it throws a lot different than a 10', which I had when I lived in Florida. You can get by with just choking up a bit on the 5' net, but with the 10' you have to hold it at the top ring, then make a loop and hold it again about midway. And hold a lead in your teeth while throwing it. Takes a bit more coordination, but I really don't think that there would be much difference between an 8' net and a 10' net. I never had much trouble throwing my 10' net off the front of my boat; wading waist deep in water and trying to throw it was definitely hard.

8. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I use a 10 ft for throwing from the dock, I keep a 4 ft in my boat for emergencies.

9. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have used many different sizes of nets. The larger the radius and more weight that the nets are have always resulted in more shad. I use a 10 ft now, but also have a 8 ft net. The 8 ft is a little easier to throw, but not by much.

10. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I carry two on my boat. A 3 1/2 foot for shallow when the shad are just all over and a 7 foot for deep and when the getting is tough. That little one is just so much easier to handle in the boat with rod holders sticking up all over and is so light that you can toss it forever without much effort...When you get old you start thinking about going in the drink with your net when you have to use a lot of body english to get a good toss!!

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I have a 4 footer and don't have any problem catching bait if they are there. Check your state laws to see what, if any, restrictions there are on cast net size.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A few years ago I got a set of Sospenders for Christmas, because I thought they would be in the way like a regular life jacket. One of the best gifts I ever got! I don't even notice that I have them on, so I can put them on before I ever leave land, and leave them on till I'm back on land. There's no more of this 'put it on', 'take it off', worry about falling in when I'm not wearing it, etc. I highly recommend them to everyone.

13. hallpatrickh

hallpatrickh New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have three nets: a 5', a 7',and a 10'. I actually have an easier time throwing the ten footer. At times, my smaller nets start springing back before they hit the water. I have caught so many, my Dad had to help me get it up high enough to reach the collar to dump it!

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i did not realize it but after doing the math, a 7' net covers almost twice the area of a 5' net.
    pi time 7squared is 49x3.14=153 sq ft
    pi times 5 squared is 25x3.14=78.5 sq ft
    with a 7' net with more weight and bigger mesh, i should be able to catch ALOT more of the deeper bigger shad.

15. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanx Dan. With my record for gracefulness, I really need to worry about swimming with an 8' fishnet speedo!!