Cast nets

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by bankpoleken, Aug 20, 2006.

1. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I am wanting to buy a cast net and have some questions. Which material would you recommend - momofilament or nylon and what radius? It has been years since I have thrown a cast net so I consider myself a novice. I was wondering what radius would be easiest to throw if you are inexperienced. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Het dere brutter, keeyaawww dat is a good one, I also have a post in here called "Cast nets: mono vs. Nylon" Look it up and maybe it will hekp. Also dey is a video in da library on dis site dat can help you cast dem too. It (along with dis whole site) has help me become a better catfisherman...I say tanks too all of you at dis site one mo time...I gaur-aan-teee!!!!!.. Also most peeple I see like da mono... and dont know if size matters.....lol....

3. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have always used one with a five foot radius, with mono line. I haven't tried any with a different type of line. The only problem I have had is that the line breaks easy, but I was using it from the bank where there was also a lot of snags. But I caught a lot of bait.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would steer clear of the Nylon nets, cause they snag easier, to visible, sink slower, and just plain hard to manage.
    For a novice I would recomend a smaller radius 2.5' to 4' much easier to handle. Get a clear mono net if you can find one. Blue is ok, but clear seems better to me for some reason.
    Also check your state reg's on size of cast nets allowed in Ill.
    I hope this helps!!!

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I agree with dreadnaught, mono 4 ft would be best.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Mono, under 5 ft. Nylon is a pain, hangs up easily and really need to dry it after the trip.

7. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    In Illinois, you can't have a cast net over 8 foot radius. I would start out with a smaller one to learn how to cast it. Good luck.

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Ken, most folks use a 4' net. You can buy nice ones at the Marina at Lake Mattoon.

9. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    Is the E-Z Super Sspreader Casting net with Accu-throw ring. YOU CAN THROW LIKE A PROIN 15 MINUTES IT,S THAT EASY. You can find it at Wal-mart .:big_smile: